[SOLVED] Old Asus P8H67-V MB overheating?

Mikael

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
I had an old PC with an Asus P8H67-V MB, which started shutting off under load, like gaming. I cleaned the MB and changed the thermal pads under the power transistor and chipset heatsinks, and installed a better cooler, Noctua NH-U12S for the processor. Put it into a new build with a Corsair CX550M power supply and a new SSD as boot drive. Now, I've tested it with two different GPUs (Nvidia GT640 and GTX960) and it still shuts down now and then, especially when running 3DMark or PCmark. It has 16GB RAM and memtest reports no errors. I'm seeing quite low temperatures of CPU, GPU and MB during normal operation. Does anybody have any ideas, or is the old MB just a write-off?

Solution
SOLVED! OK, answering myself here just in case somebody has this problem. There was actually nothing wrong with my hardware, quite the opposite. I had installed new fans and a big Noctua cooler for the processor. As a consequence, the MB didn't need to run the cooler fan very hard. BUT the BIOS had minimum limits on the fan speeds, and they were set too high, which resulted in shutdown when any serious work was being done, even though temperatures stayed quite low. So if you have these kind of troubles, check your BIOS for fan speed limits!

Mikael

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
SOLVED! OK, answering myself here just in case somebody has this problem. There was actually nothing wrong with my hardware, quite the opposite. I had installed new fans and a big Noctua cooler for the processor. As a consequence, the MB didn't need to run the cooler fan very hard. BUT the BIOS had minimum limits on the fan speeds, and they were set too high, which resulted in shutdown when any serious work was being done, even though temperatures stayed quite low. So if you have these kind of troubles, check your BIOS for fan speed limits!

Solution