[SOLVED] Old build, needs updating

Sep 19, 2019
I built my current desktop over eight years ago, and now it needs updating. I'm running Windows 10 with Office 365 pro. plus 2016. I take and download a lot of photos, and have used up 395 GB of the 595 GB installed, leaving just 199 GB left. I'm afraid of it crashing on me. I do have an external TB hard drive that I back up on, but would rather not rely on that to save me. I purchased all of my components from Newegg.com. Any suggestions would be helpful.
These are the items that I used to build it back in 2011.

PNY XLR8 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MD6144KD3-1600-X8
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield Quad-Core 3.06 GHz LGA 1366 130W BX80601950 Processor
Western Digital Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
EVGA 01G-P3-1373-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...
ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC ...

Solution
I have used the Samsung ssd migration app many times.
It is a windows C drive mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit process.

There is no need for backing up the source C drive since the process leaves it unchanged.
If you want, you can simply move the original HDD sata data cable to the ssd and boot without even changing the boot order.
Going from X58 platform, unfortunately, if you are looking for upgrades, the only way is only to go for big one.
That would be at least:
Base: Ryzen 5 3600+16GB DDR4 RAM+at least 250GB SSD
PSU: if your PSU is also already 8 years old or older than 5, I would recommend buying a new one too.
GPU: if you game, at least GTX1060/RX580...or better...this is budget dependent. If you do not game, a cute RX560 will do.
HDDs: just go as you like. This is fully free
Can keep: case, optical drive, mouse, keyboard, speaker, monitor, old HDDs
WIndows copy: depending on your license, you might need to buy a new copy.

Reactions: tinabina22
It really depends on your budget. If going for a full upgrade in the form of a new build, guanyu's suggestion is on point. But if you just want your rig to be a faster, pickup an ssd and clone your boot drive to it.

I had the sabertooth for a long time and still do use an x58, with a xeon x5660($20) and gtx 1060 without issue.

I'd opt to get an ssd and maybe a modern gpu, and when your good and ready, transfer them over to a new system and sell that sabertooth on ebay, as its still sought after for some reason. :LOL:

Side note, newegg is still viable imo, but they were bought out in 2016 by some chinese company and reports of dropped quality have increased.

Reactions: tinabina22
Sep 19, 2019
I'm not a gamer, but I'm the office manager for a non-profit organization and do all my work from home on this computer. So I'm looking for trustworthy, speed, space and reliability as well something that is going to last me for a few years without worry.

In what way is your current setup not doing the job for you?

As a suggestion, buy a Samsung 1tb 860 EVO, about $140
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147673

You will be amazed at how quick everything will feel.
Use the Samsung ssd data migration app to copy your windows C drive to the ssd.

When done, you just change the boot order to the ssd.
After, you can do what you wish with the old HDD

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it's just a matter of needing more space, then buying a larger hard drive, or, as has been suggested, an SSD, is the way to go.

If you don't actually need SSD speed, then you can get far more storage for less money, by going with a 2TB or larger HDD. However, as @geofelt pointed out, and I agree, the speed of an SSD will make routine things (booting up, opening apps) etc so much better - it really is night-and-day.

The only change in suggestion I would make is that instead of cloning the drive, I'd back up all data to the external drive, including making sure to back up browser bookmarks, etc, then remove the internal drive, install the SSD, and do a clean install of Windows 10, Office 365 Pro Plus 2016, and any other software you use.

That's far more tedious, but I've read here and there that simply cloning from an HDD to the SSD somehow leaves Windows with the expectation that an HDD should still be in there and connected. I've never really been clear on this, nor gotten solid confirmation, so this may be a bit of paranoia on my part. I hope someone else can chime in and confirm what problems, if any there may be . . . or if I'm just flat out wrong about this.

I have used the Samsung ssd migration app many times.
It is a windows C drive mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit process.

There is no need for backing up the source C drive since the process leaves it unchanged.
If you want, you can simply move the original HDD sata data cable to the ssd and boot without even changing the boot order.

Reactions: King_V
Solution