[SOLVED] Old but new power supply in a new build?

capsandogs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
Hello all, I've been thinking about upgrading my PC recently. I also have an old but practically unused power supply (~1 month) that I was considering using.. wanted to know if it's going to work properly. I've heard there's some issues regarding the cpu sleep mode? Anyways..
PSU in question: PC power and cooling silencer mkII 750w silver

Planned build:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Hyper 212 black (I've never water cooled, hesitant)
Asus tuf x570
Samsung Evo 970 plus 1tb m.2
WD 4tb hdd
Gigabyte 2070 super windforce oc 3x
2x16gb g.skill trident z neo c16 3600

Est wattage ~450

Last edited:
Hello all, I've been thinking about upgrading my PC recently. I also have an old but practically unused power supply (~1 month) that I was considering using.. wanted to know if it's going to work properly. I've heard there's some issues regarding the cpu sleep mode? Anyways..

Planned build:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus tuf x570
WD 4tb hdd

Est wattage ~450
The Silencer MK II were released around 10 years ago, so I'm guessing yours is 7-8 years old or more.

A power supply that has been stored in a cool, dry climate has a better chance of working, however, electrolytic capacitors continue to age with time regardless of whether or not the unit was in use. The aging process can involve evaporation of the electrolyte resulting in increased resistance, leaking current and reduced capacitance. Time is against you when it comes to the life of a typical power supply that uses these capacitors.

A visual inspection of the interior components may or may not reveal signs of potential problems, but without proper testing equipment there's really no way to tell the condition of the unit. On the plus side, the Silencer MK II uses high quality Chemi-con capacitors rated at 105C on the primary and secondary sides and generally do not leak. It's possible they may charge back up and have some life left in them.

It should be noted that you have no warranty by now and you must weigh this fact when choosing how to protect your new build. You're looking at a $1000+ build and spending another $150 for a new, high quality PSU is really a no-brainer.

Reactions: capsandogs

Planned build:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus tuf x570
WD 4tb hdd

Est wattage ~450
The Silencer MK II were released around 10 years ago, so I'm guessing yours is 7-8 years old or more.

A power supply that has been stored in a cool, dry climate has a better chance of working, however, electrolytic capacitors continue to age with time regardless of whether or not the unit was in use. The aging process can involve evaporation of the electrolyte resulting in increased resistance, leaking current and reduced capacitance. Time is against you when it comes to the life of a typical power supply that uses these capacitors.

A visual inspection of the interior components may or may not reveal signs of potential problems, but without proper testing equipment there's really no way to tell the condition of the unit. On the plus side, the Silencer MK II uses high quality Chemi-con capacitors rated at 105C on the primary and secondary sides and generally do not leak. It's possible they may charge back up and have some life left in them.

It should be noted that you have no warranty by now and you must weigh this fact when choosing how to protect your new build. You're looking at a $1000+ build and spending another $150 for a new, high quality PSU is really a no-brainer.

Reactions: capsandogs

capsandogs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2012
That's exactly what I was thinking- there would be an aging process regardless of use. I was also thinking it was a general "no-brainer" to add on the new PSU. BUT, I'm also a bit irritated I never got any use from that nice silencer mkII. The money I spent on it back then was a lot more important to me than it is now haha.

Thanks for the informative reply.

ASK THE COMMUNITY