[SOLVED] Old Case Feature

VirusVox

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
Greetings all!

I am helping a friend build a PC and we're using a very old case that I happened to have on hand in my part store (He has no care for the looks of it whatsoever, just the functionality). The case has a small screen on the bottom that, when I was given it, was told is a Temperature monitor. It has leads for the CPU, HDD, and one labelled 'VGA'. It also has a ton of different headers, with labels like 'TPB-', TPB+', 'TPA-', and Ground. I was wondering if anyone here could confirm this is a temperature monitor, and explain to me how it would be set up to actually be used, or if it's even possible with a modern day gaming motherboard? (MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX)

Here are the leads, connectors, and the screen itself.

The posting software is not letting me upload photos, so the best I can do is the above link to imgur.

Solution
TPB-,TPB+, Ground etc...
Those appear to be old style USB connectors used for case front panel USB, card readers etc.... Might also be for the front panel LED.
Look here for connection diagram.
https://www.directron.com/blog/installusb
The others marked VGA, HDD, CPU are temperature probes. Long before they had onboard diodes to report device temp.
You place them next to the die or embed in the heatsink of that Item you are monitoring. Tape the HDD to the top of your device to report temps.
Although they could be placed on any item in the case to monitor temps or even memory temp. What ever you want to monitor.
TPB-,TPB+, Ground etc...
Those appear to be old style USB connectors used for case front panel USB, card readers etc.... Might also be for the front panel LED.
Look here for connection diagram.
https://www.directron.com/blog/installusb
The others marked VGA, HDD, CPU are temperature probes. Long before they had onboard diodes to report device temp.
You place them next to the die or embed in the heatsink of that Item you are monitoring. Tape the HDD to the top of your device to report temps.
Although they could be placed on any item in the case to monitor temps or even memory temp. What ever you want to monitor.

Solution

VirusVox

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
Oh that's awesome! Thanks a ton for the info! Noticing now I see the matching D+ and D- denotations on two sets of the pins, which makes sense since there are two front panel USB ports. However the pins marked TPB and such are still a mystery, as I don't see them labelled on the linked website. They could perhaps be for the IEE 1394/FireWire port also included on the front panel?

Also I assume I do in fact leave the orange layer over the temperature probes?