Old case for new pc

MahZi

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hi guys

I have and atx case with GA-8IPE100Pro mobo and 300w PSU
Can I use this case and PSU for my new config with core i5 and asus P8H67-m pro mobo?
Does it fit in case?
What about PSU? Power sockets are still the same. Right?
What about wattage? Is it enough for this pc?
Core i5 2500k – p8h67 mobo – integrated graphic - 2x2gb 1333mhz ram – 1hdd – 1ssd – 1dvd burner
If it’s not enough, what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
About the only thing stopping an old case from holding a new motherboard is if the case is so old it doesn't have a replaceable back panel. However, that didn't stop me with my most recent build where I cut it out with a hacksaw and put an ITX board in.

As for the PSU, I would say maybe. A 300w PSU should be enough for a i5 with integrated graphics, but there is more to the equation than just maximum power draw. You didn't say how old the PSU is. Very old PSUs focused more on 3.3v and 5v compared to today's PSUs that put out much more power on the 12v. Check the label on the PSU and make sure it is going to put out enough power on all of the output voltages.

Next connectors have changed. Motherboard connectors used to be 20-pin and now they are 24-pin. While a 24-pin plug will work with a 20-pin socket, a 20-pin plug isn't guaranteed to work 24-pin socket. In low power applications it would, but the extra 4 pins are for drawing more power. Probably not a problem in your situation. CPUs now draw much more power and now have 8-pin sockets compared to 4-pin sockets (and no dedicated power if we go back far enough). The story is the same with the CPU socket as the motherboard socket.

I've seen PSUs with 20-pin plugs running motherboards with 24-pin sockets. However, there is always the risk that the socket burns up due to drawing too much power through too few wires.

Your best bet is to take a good look at the old PSU and see if it has the power needed in the correct voltages and if it has all the correct plugs. There are adapters available (like this one), but if you need to buy a lot it may not be worth it.

MahZi

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
thank you so much for fast and complete answer

I think it's better I don't risk and get a newer and more powerful PSU because i have bad memory. one time I burned my mobo chip because of bad PSU

but about the case
this is my case
http://www.green-case.com/products/case/midi/case.php?model=pacific
(I hope posting links are ok)

I kinda like it and don't want to change it if it fits

do you think I can use it for my new P8H67-m mobo?

thanks again

EDIT: I think I was too woried
the mobo website says it's micro ATX and case support ATX and micro ATX
I thought they invented a new technology after ATX :p

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Sorry, I probably should have noted that when I say old, I generally mean from the early-mid 90's. I think the case and PSU I just reused were from 1990 or so.

Your case should easily fit your new ATX motherboard.

EDIT: As for a PSU, Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W would be a good option if it is available to you. However, like I said you should look at your old PSU and see exactly what it is, as it may work out for you. If it has all the proper plugs it'll work.

MahZi

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
nordlead, thanks again
my current PSU is green 300w but I don't remember the details, I will check
but anyway I think it worth 50$ to have a safe PSU. I afraid to risk blowing 400$ cpu, mobo up for 50$ saving :D

megamanx00, thank you
I hope I don't need them but I'm ready to cut the case half :D

MahZi

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
pacioli thanks
I didn't know there are mobos which are able to OC and support Integrated graphic

well i just checked online stores near me and they only have z68-v, v-pro and deluxe which are so expensive
I'm afraid I can't afford them
do you think they worth the money?
I don't play games, just webdesigning and watching movies

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Then you might want to step down to the i5-2500 (non k version) and save like $10. It is the same exact processor but without the unlocked multiplier. An i5-2400 might be sufficient for your needs too.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011

I would only consider that an issue if you were running a high end graphics card or SLI/Crossfire setup. Pretty much every case has airflow in the bottom of the front, and out the top of the back and you really don't need much more than that. It is fairly easy to add a top or side vent with a drill if you were really concerned.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I agree with nordlead about stepping down the processor in the case you are not gaming. The 2500K is a beast and is in the top tier of current processors. If you step down one tier you can still get the intel HD 3000 integrated graphics of the 2500K in an i3 sandy bridge chip. Check out this chip, the i3-2105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115090
This i3 processor has the superior HD 3000 graphics. It is a dual core chip that is hyperthreaded and has four threads. At stock speeds it is faster thread by thread than any AMD chip currently on the market! Plus at $135 it is $85 less than the i5 2500K.
The i3 2125 also uses the HD 3000 Graphics and costs $146. Also, at 3.3 GHz, it is 200 Mhz faster than the i3 2105.
for some reason newegg has the incorrect description of that chip but intel says the 2125 does sport the HD 3000
http://ark.intel.com/products/series/53242

MahZi

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

maybe I shouldn't have said "old". it's only 1 year old and i think it's working good
my cpu is 40' and hard drives are 35 (home airconditioner is off)

yeah that's good for me aswell but there is a problem, i'm going to use the integrated graphic and it's HD 2000
I think it worth 10$ to get an HD 3000

wooow, I'm finding new options and it's great, thank you
i'm a little confused to choose one
I don't play games at all, only webdesigning and watching 1080p mkv movies BUT I want to keep this pc for at least 4-5 years, so do you think I should go for 2105 or pay 85$ and get 2500k?

this is my topic about the new pc, maybe reading it would be useful to help me

I really appreciate your helps guys
thank you