Question Old Compaq Presario C700 laptop shows white screen, then shuts down

Mar 4, 2022
Hello, all. I have an old Compaq Presario C700 laptop that I've been playing around with recently, and I keep getting a white screen, followed by an instant shutdown. I've installed both Windows 10 and XP (individual, not dual-boot) and the same thing happens at random times. It's even happened with no operating system on the hard drive at all. Could this be a failing graphics card? It couldn't possibly be a driver issue. Thanks for your help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I wouldn't advise getting Windows 10 on that old laptop, considering how low the specs to such a laptop can and will be and how resource hungry + unoptimized for older hardware Windows 10 has now become. The issue you speak of could be an overheating issue, see if you can locate and dislodge possible clogs in the cooling assembly of the laptop(after you disassemble the laptop, i.e).

Mar 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I wouldn't advise getting Windows 10 on that old laptop, considering how low the specs to such a laptop can and will be and how resource hungry + unoptimized for older hardware Windows 10 has now become. The issue you speak of could be an overheating issue, see if you can locate and dislodge possible clogs in the cooling assembly of the laptop(after you disassemble the laptop, i.e).
Thanks! I wondered if it was an overheating issue because it does seem to get hot very quickly, even when idle. I'll have to disassemble as much of it as I can and see what I find.