Question Old computer boots with GTX660 but not 1070

The Good

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
I have recently purchased a used 3080 to upgrade my ASUS Strix 1070 (ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING) on my computer. As a result, I thought I could take my old 1070 and put it in my little brother's old horrendous prebuilt HP computer.

My brother's computer, many years back, had the stock power supply changed to a Cooler Master Extreme 2 625W and an ASUS GTX660OC (GTX660-DC2O-2GD5). The CPU is an Intel i7-2600 with 10 GB of ram... Additionally, the motherboard, after some digging up, is a Pegatron IPISB-CH2. As far as other power loads, there is a 1TB HDD and a 120GB SSD for the OS.

The system, although very slow, used to work fine with the 660. When I tried to put the 1070, which required an additional 2 PCI-E power pins over the 6 pin of the 660, the system would open, produce an audible BEEP noise, and then would stay stuck at the HP boot screen which tells you what button to press in order to get in the BIOS. The PC would be frozen in this state and produce maybe 3 more BEEP sounds. I was not able to access the BIOS and thought that maybe this old power supply, even though it is 625W, would not be able to supply the proper power to the GPU. One thing to note is that when I would open the system, the RGB lights on the GPU would open and stay that way while the fans would initially spin for the first seconds and then stop.

Would anyone know why this is happening? Is it the power supply that is not enough or perhaps the motherboard in some way is too ancient for this GPU?

Ideally, I would change his whole PC, but unfortunately, I do not have the economical means and thus I try to find the best and least expensive solution to correctly address this issue.

Here is a picture of the specific power rails of the PSU:
http://prntscr.com/LUc1Ru9HKiXU

Thanks everyone!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Right about the time of the gtx750/ti maxwell gpus, bios started to shift to a new design, UEFI. The old bios became legacy. There was multiple issues over this as most 900 series and newer cards either accept uefi or legacy bios or have a physical switch on them to change the vbios from legacy to uefi.

But that's assuming either straight up Legacy or full standard UEFI bios. During the changeover period, some manufacturers like HP, Dell, Lenovo decided to introduce a Hybrid bios. That's a Legacy bios with additional commands to accept uefi components and compatibility. Unfortunately that Hybrid bios was completely bunk. Gtx750/ti or 900 series and newer don't mix bios. It needs to be legacy or uefi, not something inbetween.

So while your sons pc is perfectly happy with a 600 series card, it's very likely not going to be fortunate enough to accept anything newer, from nvidia or amd.

Your best hope is if there's an updated bios at HP that gets rid of that Hybrid bios and either goes full legacy or preferably uefi. Can also check to see if there is a micro switch on the 1070, one that switches legacy/uefi or if the software for that 1070 includes a switch.

The Good

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
Right about the time of the gtx750/ti maxwell gpus, bios started to shift to a new design, UEFI. The old bios became legacy. There was multiple issues over this as most 900 series and newer cards either accept uefi or legacy bios or have a physical switch on them to change the vbios from legacy to uefi.

But that's assuming either straight up Legacy or full standard UEFI bios. During the changeover period, some manufacturers like HP, Dell, Lenovo decided to introduce a Hybrid bios. That's a Legacy bios with additional commands to accept uefi components and compatibility. Unfortunately that Hybrid bios was completely bunk. Gtx750/ti or 900 series and newer don't mix bios. It needs to be legacy or uefi, not something inbetween.

So while your sons pc is perfectly happy with a 600 series card, it's very likely not going to be fortunate enough to accept anything newer, from nvidia or amd.

Your best hope is if there's an updated bios at HP that gets rid of that Hybrid bios and either goes full legacy or preferably uefi. Can also check to see if there is a micro switch on the 1070, one that switches legacy/uefi or if the software for that 1070 includes a switch.

Amazing answer, thank you do much. I appreciate that I get to understand what is going on. I will investigate for BIOS update and see if that specific model of 1070 has a switch.