Old computer for streaming or just take the components out?

bupp4

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Hi!

After a long time spent with planning I've decided to build a Ryzen PC.

My current specs are:
CPU: i7 3820@ 4.2Ghz with evo cooler
Motherboard: Asrock x79 Extreme 4
Chase: Thermaltake Overseer with 4x 20cm fan
RAM: Corsair Vengance 16gb
GPU: 2x GTX 970
PSU: Corsair 850
HDD: 1TB
SSD: 128GB (windows)
SSD2: 256GB
Monitor resolution: dual monitors
- 2560x1400 @165Hz
- 1920x1080 @ 60Hz

So I'd like to start stream again but I got used to the smooth experience on my 165Hz monitor that is why I don't really want to sacrifice the resources of my PC for stream.

My Ryzen build so far:
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($128.99 @ Newegg)

My question is should I build a completely new PC and use my current PC for stream/encoding (I'll take the GPUs and SSDs out for the Ryzen build)
OR
should I use my old comp case/PSU/etc. and just upgrade with the Ryzen components?
How well can Ryzen 7 1700x handle twitch streaming 720p@60fps while maintaining the FPS for my smooth experience?
I know I won't have 165fps all the time but a safe 70-120 is ok for me in WoW/PUBG/Overwatch/Destiny 2.

Sorry if this is a bit clustery. I just don't want to waste my money for pointless things and also reach the best value for my money/decision.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Tom

Solution

In all of those games the 3820 will perform better but will struggle a bit when streaming. So I would actually go the other way around and get a cheap ryzen streaming rig and use the old pc.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Not entirely correct. The Ryzen 7 is about the same in single-core performance when compared to the i7-3820. Which means that the gaming experience should pretty much stay the same too.

But the Ryzen would have 8 extra threads, which can be fully used for the encode/stream. The 1700 should be able to handle even low-quality 1080p60 streaming without any issues, so 720p should be no problem at all. Of course, using a seperate PC for encoding will be more future-proof(-ish) as the spare power on the gaming rig will be used by games in the future.

In the here and now, however, there should be little to no difference in the gaming and streaming experience between the Ryzen only and Ryzen (gaming) + i7 (encode) combo. You can always use the i7 for encoding a few years later when the Ryzen starts struggling on it's own, but for now the R7 1700 is completely fine on it's own :)

bupp4

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012

Wow it's a new perspective that I haven't think of yet. I always thought the i7 3820 is the bottleneck of my system in CPU heavy games and you say that it's better for these games than the ryzen one? I also wanted to upgrade my gaming rig (whichever I use at the end) but in this case the ryzen wouldn't be an upgrade at all?

Since they are pretty much exactly at the same single core speed you won't notice any difference. However the 3820 can oc quite a bit further than 4.2ghz (which is already a bit faster than the ryzen 1700 in single core). Thats why the ryzen 1700 for gaming is a sidegrade but for streaming is an upgrade. But you can easily make do with a lower end dedicated streaming rig.

Solution