Old Computer with New Life

Oct 5, 2018
Name: Asinto
CPU: Core i5-2500k
Motherboard:Gigabyte Z68AP-D3

CPU Voltage: 1.31 (Bios currently set), but my core voltage on my CPU-Z shows 1.320-1.334+ (fluctuates a little depending on load)

CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 100.26 Mhz, x45 Turbo on all cores

Clock Speed: 4.5 GHz

RAM: 24Gb (2x8 G.Skill Ripjaws, 2x4 Kingston HyperX - 9-9-9-27) DDR3 (BIOS Set to Turbo instead of Standard or Extreme. Not sure what this does, I'm assuming it's an auto-OC and at 1600MHz, it would help. Don't know enough about RAM OC to play with it just yet.)

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15S, 1 Intake ML140 Corsair, 2 Cougar Vortex exhaust in top

I'm going to be rebuilding soon with a recently bought 8700k for 380$ (before the price got too high) and a Gigabyte Gaming 5 over 2x8 3600 Trident Z (or equivalent) and carrying over everything else. (GTX970 EVGA, Corsair 850 Modular PSU, some of the cooling fans, +1 more of those 140 Corsairs, and the cooler.)
I decided to see what I can do with my old rig here with my newly acquired Noctua cooler. I haven't honed in my CPU voltage yet, but I got it stable as of right now, tests to come to verify my stability. However, I wanted to see what you guys thought. I don't see a lot of people trying to resurrect old equipment to make it decent in today's standard.
I mainly wanted to get some other eyes. I heard a lot of people aren't comfortable over 1.350v on the CPU due to cooling and I'm sure when you get a CPU spike there is always some delay from the heat being removed from the point of origin on the CPU. I'm guessing this is why people like to stay under heavy voltages even if the cooling is top notch. I could be wrong.
With all that said, I'll post some proof underneath here today and I'll make sure to mention if any voltage has changed.

Edit: Ran a standard x10 Intel Burn In without any issues right after this post. Should I burn in further for stability? How do I rank with these 6+ year old parts? I was pretty impressed it stabalized to easily, but I'm worried about that voltage showing in CPU-Z, what do you guys think?
https://imgur.com/a/mrIJtj7

P.S. - You couldn't see the heat because it cooled down so quickly, but the highest a core hit was 62c, most of the time stabilized at 60-61c consistently, sometimes dipping to 58.

P.P.S. - Right when I was about to post this my computer locked up with a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. So I ticked it to 1.315v on CPU.

I still run my 2500k with the original 212+. 7 years old and still the same as it was new, just now with a 1060 and ssds. 1.35v was a concern for longevity, not temps. Even my measly cooler can handle 1.35 and stay under 80c during gaming so heat is still not an issue. Many people would even argue 1.4v was still fine. Temps don't spike with a delay. Electricity is the heat and that is too fast and the core is small so temps go up immediately. The slow temp rise afterwards is the delay of the heatsink heating up. You should see this when stress testing.

Being old doesn't change ocing unless it was pushed far which you weren't. That's the point of safe limits, longevity. Or the upper safe limit so you don't instakill. When you do push it higher, with age, the cpu will become unstable and either need more vcore or lower speed.

Oct 5, 2018
Glad I'm not the only one that believes in the old stuff. I always like future-proofing my builds. This was my first one. I just recently bought my first home, so I'm building my 8700k for my own house warming present.
Any suggestions on the RAM? I know at these levels and with a 970, (I believe) if I OC the RAM a little I can get a pretty decent boost. Think it's worth it for DDR3 and this build? I think I might buy another Noctua and a couple of fans and try and sell it, I don't know.

TRENDING THREADS