Old core 2 duo on ecs p4m800 doesn't get to bios

bobehill

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
I have an old ecs p4m800 (an odd bird that used either ddr or ddr 2 memory) with a core 2 duo 1.86 pentium I thought I would resurrect for my grand neice. It would power up for 2 to 60 seconds, then shut down without getting to the bios. Once, the bios screen lit up and correctly identified the memory (I've tried several pairs of 1gb corsair and crucial ddr memory chips I've had lying around) though it pegged the memory speed at 400mhz instead of 675. I removed all the peripherals except for keyboard, mouse, and vga (on mb - I cleared the bios. I tried an AGP card. I put in a new power supply, Antec 400 watts. It's frustrating because it seems like its trying to boot, but then shuts itself off. Good fan, thermal goo. could be either motherboard or cpu but it seems odd that it almost booted one time. Any thoughts, before I plunk down a hundred on the new minimal mb/cpu compo?

bobehill

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
You know, I came to the same conclusion. I'm going to dump (or give away on craigs list) everything I have older than ddr3. All those old 2500 athlon II processors and unused cheapo boards - life's too short. BTW I pulled out the CPU and what did I find but a couple of melted pins (after spending hours replacing the obvious easy stuff). And, after all, when you build a box for your neice the last thing you want is a phone call in a couple of months when her homework disappears. Thanks for the sage advice. Actually, it would have been fine for homework but would have sucked for the web and games, which is really the important part.

bobehill

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010

bobehill

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
PS I forgot to thankl you for pointing out the obvious; my wife will be delighted. It was actually a 4300 with burned spots and damaged pins on the zif socket, so.... RIP.

TRENDING THREADS