[SOLVED] Old Dad Needs Help with upgrade

joez1211

Reputable
Nov 26, 2016
I’m looking to get a little bit of help with upgrading my sons computer unfortunately I have no more than basic knowledge. Any help would be appreciated my sons computer has a Z1 70 a MS 7971 motherboard it was purchased in 2016 it currently has g.skill 2×8 ripjaw ram he has an I 5 6600KCPU and a 500 GB hard drive The video card is a GeForce GTX 1070 also has 500 watt power supply also he has a dual monitor setup

i want to spen under 800 and need upgrade recommendations

can any body help a clueless dad at Christmas....lol

thank you

Solution
Ray tracing will need an RTX series graphics card (GPU) and the least expensive model is an Rtx2060 and right now is a really bad time to be buying a GPU.

Aside from that , you could upgrade the 500GB Harddrive to a 500gb or 1TB SSD for $55 to 140, upgrade the CPU to an i7-7700 ($200 to 250), and save the remaining funds for when GPU's come in stock again and the prices come back down.

popatim

Titan
Ray tracing will need an RTX series graphics card (GPU) and the least expensive model is an Rtx2060 and right now is a really bad time to be buying a GPU.

Aside from that , you could upgrade the 500GB Harddrive to a 500gb or 1TB SSD for $55 to 140, upgrade the CPU to an i7-7700 ($200 to 250), and save the remaining funds for when GPU's come in stock again and the prices come back down.

Solution
I don’t really know what upgrades his motherboard will support
Well...load times can be improved with an SDD; since you don't know if his motherboard can support an NVME though probably just a SATA interface drive.

And gaming...ray tracing...is the bailiwick of Nvidia 2000 and 3000 series and Radeon 6000 series GPU's. Almost certainly his motherboard will fit one of them, but it becomes the PSU you should know about.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
I really appreciate you trying to help! First of all, does he have a 60hz monitor or something bigger? If he has a 60hz monitor, a 144 hz monitor would be a really good present for Christmas. Besides that, you could get him an SSD or upgrade his HDD to 1 TB. You could also get him RGB fans for his PC, if he already doesn't have ones, they aren't really expensive. Something for his environment, if he doesn't have LED lights for his room? Get him some. It literally changes the whole mood when gaming if you have a good LED light setup in your room! If he doesn't have a gaming headset, mouse or a keyboard, you could get him some. Strictly for PC components, an i7 7700 would do a good job. Or upgrading the HDD to 1tb, or getting him an SSD. An SSD would make his computer way faster regarding restarting, apps and so on. If you have any questions, tag me and ask!