Question Old Dell Dimension Repair Questions

Aug 2, 2020
So I have a Dell Dimension E520 from 2006, came with a Pentium D 2.80 and the socket is PLGA 775. Now, theres not very many options, but I was wondering if there was a 64 bit processor for PLGA 775 (not to be confused with LGA 775), and if it was replaced with that processor, would I be able to plug in over 4 gb of ram? Also, the current motherboard only supports DDR2 533, 667, and 800, and would it be worth upgrading the motherboard for DDR4?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
"upgrading the motherboard for DDR4" results in a whole new PC.

New CPU to go on it, DDR4 RAM, a new PSU to run it...might as well put it in a new case.
A whole new PC.

That 15 year old Dell is what it is. Either make it run as it is for a curiosity piece, or dump it.

DSzymborski

Champion
Yup. It's a whole new PC at this point.

And no, PLGA is not something different from LGA in terms of socket. It refers to how the core is packaged, the P stands for plastic. The socket is the same. Compatibility would come down to motherboard, though good luck finding documentation of this nature for a 15-year-old Dell.

Any upgrades at this point are fun experiments for those who like tinkering or simply learning about how PCs are constructed; if you want serious upgrades, there's not much that actually makes sense. You can get refurbished mini-towers with legitimate Windows licenses with specs that murder this PC for just over $100.

Stuff like this...

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-mt-990/p/2NR-000G-00387?Item=9SIADZEAS74531

..makes upgrading something as old as the PC you're referring to completely impractical unless you literally find the right parts for free.

Aug 2, 2020
"upgrading the motherboard for DDR4" results in a whole new PC.

New CPU to go on it, DDR4 RAM, a new PSU to run it...might as well put it in a new case.
A whole new PC.

That 15 year old Dell is what it is. Either make it run as it is for a curiosity piece, or dump it.
I was just wondering, would I need a new motherboard? or would I just want to buy a new one and build a whole new pc

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I was just wondering, would I need a new motherboard? or would I just want to buy a new one and build a whole new pc
As above, there is no meaningful "upgrade" you can do to that Dell.
If you change the motherboard to accept different RAM and CPU, that IS a whole new PC.

A different CPU on that same motherboard and socket won't give any real perf increase.

Aug 2, 2020
That depends on that Dell motherboard.
ive looked it up and made a decision. it supports up to 8 gb of ram, and on the latest version of bios a core 2 quad, as well as a decent low profile graphics card, which means that the upgrade would be cheap and worth it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS