[SOLVED] Old dell optiplex psu died, is it worth putting in new psu, maybe different case etc?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I've been using a 3010 sff for years now as an htpc and the psu has died; it has i3-2130, micro-atx board; be $30 for new psu--can almost get whole pc for that off ebay--basic unit without i3, ram etc. Or is it worth getting better psu--can get a dynex 400w for $30 and putting it all in a new case so could add decent gpu? Computer runs windows10, streams and otherwise performs well. What do you think, is it worth saving?

Solution
The front panel pin header is proprietary and wont work with standard cases, unless you don't mind the original front panel power button hanging out of the case randomly in some manner.

dynex psu's are fire hazards as well

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
It has a proprietary type psu: 10"x 3"x3". I have it all taken apart, seems regular 10"x8" micro-atx. Could just replace the psu for $30 but would be nice to have it in a regular sized micro-atx case too add graphics card, extra hdd etc; figure looking at around $80 for psu and case. Thing is I can get that same unit on eBay for that price.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, Dynex PSUs are things you urgently upgrade from not upgrade to. If you want to start repurposing this unit to run a decent GPU, you're going to need to purchase a decent PSU as well. How much PSU you need will depend on what kind of GPU you want to get, but it will be considerably more than $30. It would be at any time, but even more so now as prices are high due to disruptions in the supply chain due to COVID-19.

Reactions: maxamillionfeettall

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
The front panel pin header is proprietary and wont work with standard cases, unless you don't mind the original front panel power button hanging out of the case randomly in some manner.

dynex psu's are fire hazards as well

Thanks for the heads up on that front header; I was thinking since I plan on building a micro-atx pc in that other room later on anyways, so could use these components and have a new case for when I upgrade; use it until then. I don't usually turn my computer off so having that power button wherever isn't a deal breaker.
The Dynex I just got because I'm in the middle of a build and need to know if it's the psu or motherboard and it was available for $30 with free next day delivery--figured I could keep it for troubleshooting like now, and temp' psu while waiting on new one. Reviews on it were ok, but if you all say it's that bad I can always return it; plenty of inexpensive psus--in theory, if ever in stock. I'd use a cheap one on this system but when upgrading would get higher end; just got Super Flower Leadex3 550W for my new build, hasn't come yet, still on the fence about it or Corsair Rm650X, both seem equally good.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
The Super Flower is solid. They made pretty much all the good EVGA PSUs.

I wouldn't even trust the Dynex (consumer reviews are absolutely worthless for PSUs) for trouble-shooting. Maybe to test an open water cooling loop that isn't connected to a PC. Otherwise, it's more likely to cause more troubles than solve troubles.