Old Dell PC, new Asus monitor: buy a display-port-to-HDMI cable?

Solution
If you only have VGA, then I would recommend that you add an inexpensive video card that had either DVI or display port. Something like this. It has a DVI port and an HDMI port.

Your Dell has a PCIe x16 slot according to the documentation so that should fit just fine.

fomorian

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
I believe VGA -- it's in the shop. I count 18 pins and small metal slot in the PC end of the cable here. Some Dell 5100 specs:
http://www.engadget.com/products/dell/dimension/5100/specs/

kanewolf

Titan
If you only have VGA, then I would recommend that you add an inexpensive video card that had either DVI or display port. Something like this. It has a DVI port and an HDMI port.

Your Dell has a PCIe x16 slot according to the documentation so that should fit just fine.

Solution

fomorian

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Just picked PC up from repair shop: it has 1 DVI port and 1 VGA port.
The replacement monitor (Asus VG248QE) would have DisplayPort, Dual-link DVI-D and HDMI ports; would the DVI-D plug into the Dell's DVI port?
Thanks again . . .

kanewolf

Titan

With only a 1080p resolution, you don't need a dual link DVI. You might not be able to use 144Hz but the cable that the monitor comes with should work.

kanewolf

Titan

Dual llink
DVI_Connector_Types.svg
means that there are more pins connected. I am doubtful that the DVI port on your computer is dual link. It will accept a dual link cable but I bet all the pins are not enabled.

fomorian

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Just found that pic on wiki, thanks! My comp has DVI-I Dual (24 grouped boxes, and another 4 to the right around a cross slot). Seems it's always had 6 more plugs available than the monitor's DVI-D cable offer. Any way to tell if enabled? May upgrade video card as well.

fomorian

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Thanks. Seems this PC and monitor would work together but not deliver 144 Hz w/o those pins. Know of any video card upgrades for a Dell Dimension 5100 that has all 24 enabled?