[SOLVED] Old dell revive

Sep 15, 2019
I recently got a broken dell t3500 ,that doesnt display anything on the screen.
The user had upgraded its components a while back,put an i7 920,12gb of ddr3 ram ,a corsair cx500 and a gtx 460.The pc seems to be turning on fine but im not getting any display in none of the ports of the graphics card,i have tried putting another gpu and it still wouldnt display anything,What could pe the problem?

Solution
What about safe mode?

No beeps is likely a good thing and hopefully a sign of progress. However, try to identify the motherboard to determine what the 6 beeps may have been indicating.

Again more information about the installed motherboard will be very useful. Take a close look at all the labeling on the motherboard with the objective being to specifically identify the motherboard's make, model, version.

Google words such as "Dell six beeps code" and try to find a specific meaning relevant to the installed mother board.

As for the RAM: 12 GB in two slots suggests one 8GB module and one 4 GB module. Could be mismatched RAM especially with respect to a dual channel configuration.

Have you tried using any of the motherboard's...

Ralston18

Titan
Any beeps or LED lights?

Do you know what OS is installed?

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Motherboard?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Go to Dell's website and find the applicable User Guide/Manuals and also search for any technical/repair manuals that may be available via Dell or elsewhere.

Troubleshoot the desktop accordingly.

Confirm that the former user did indeed install compatible/supported components.

RAM may be the culprit. 12 GB - how is that configured with respect to module sizes and slotting?

Sep 15, 2019
Any beeps or LED lights?

Do you know what OS is installed?

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Motherboard?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Go to Dell's website and find the applicable User Guide/Manuals and also search for any technical/repair manuals that may be available via Dell or elsewhere.

Troubleshoot the desktop accordingly.

Confirm that the former user did indeed install compatible/supported components.

RAM may be the culprit. 12 GB - how is that configured with respect to module sizes and slotting?
1 I am hearing 6 beeps
2 I put my own hard drive in with a copy of windows 10.
3 The motherboard is a 1366 socket dell included one.
4 Psu is a corsair cx 500,500w, good condition(works fine on another pc), 80+ bronze
5 i think there are 2 sticks of hyperx savage memory,, in slots 1 and 3

Sep 15, 2019
1 I am hearing 6 beeps
2 I put my own hard drive in with a copy of windows 10.
3 The motherboard is a 1366 socket dell included one.
4 Psu is a corsair cx 500,500w, good condition(works fine on another pc), 80+ bronze
5 i think there are 2 sticks of hyperx savage memory,, in slots 1 and 3
Update i switched the ram sticks to 2 and 4 and now im getting no beeps but i still dont get display

Ralston18

Titan
What about safe mode?

No beeps is likely a good thing and hopefully a sign of progress. However, try to identify the motherboard to determine what the 6 beeps may have been indicating.

Again more information about the installed motherboard will be very useful. Take a close look at all the labeling on the motherboard with the objective being to specifically identify the motherboard's make, model, version.

Google words such as "Dell six beeps code" and try to find a specific meaning relevant to the installed mother board.

As for the RAM: 12 GB in two slots suggests one 8GB module and one 4 GB module. Could be mismatched RAM especially with respect to a dual channel configuration.

Have you tried using any of the motherboard's build in video ports? I.e., no GPU.

Moving the boot drive from one PC to another is often problematic - the new host computer is not likely to work with the configuration settings and drivers from the original host computer.

Windows may fall back on generic drivers and settings in some cases. But an immediate working/workable swap is rare.

Solution
Sep 15, 2019
What about safe mode?

Have you tried using any of the motherboard's build in video ports? I.e., no GPU.

Moving the boot drive from one PC to another is often problematic - the new host computer is not likely to work with the configuration settings and drivers from the original host computer.

Windows may fall back on generic drivers and settings in some cases. But an immediate working/workable swap is rare.
I done some research and i have found that the pc has 4 leds on the front numbered from 1 to 4,i have tried switching the ram in every slot with just one stick and as the repair manual suggests it has issues with the memory,i think that either the ram modules are broken or the ports for them are.

Sep 15, 2019
Or, my thought, is that the current RAM modules are not fully supported by the motherboard.

Do you know if the pc really or actually worked for the original user/owner?
But it beeing an oem idk if it worked just before the upgrade or after too,maybe the ram isnt supported by the processor cause an i7 920 only supports up to 1066 mhz memory,and the memory i found in there is hyperx savage,thats like 1600 mhz memory

I just read the dell site, so I have som follow-up questions.
  • You say 6 beep, right? According to Dell, it should consist of long and short beeps. Can you try to replicate this in more detail?
  • Is there any LED indication on the MB (4 LED indicators together with power lamp in front) that you can specify here?

Sep 15, 2019
I just read the dell site, so I have som follow-up questions.
  • You say 6 beep, right? According to Dell, it should consist of long and short beeps. Can you try to replicate this in more detail?
  • Is there any LED indication on the MB (4 LED indicators together with power lamp in front) that you can specify here?
Im not hearing the beeps anymore but from the 4 leds only 3 and 4 and lit up,suggesting a memory issue.
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/...tion/precision-t3500_service manual_en-us.pdf

TRENDING THREADS