[SOLVED] Old drive, new system?

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Hey all,

I have a desktop pc and I'm going to be travelling soon, and will need my PC (hard drive) to be with me.

I don't want to have to buy a laptop, and the whole rig is too big for me to put into luggage. GPU alone is too big.

My question is, I know that if GPU or CPU are different, your system (HDD) will always boot up correctly regardless, but does the same apply when it's the hard drive (or ssd) that is being put in a completely different system? Will Windows and all my files boot up as I left them in the other rig? Is there a way for that to work? Maybe if I take the motherboard with me?

Basically, can I just take SSD and motherboard and make a new system there?

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Yes it does. So, motherboard is really the key figure here.
That was to verify that the System Reserved partition (what it actually boots from) did not reside on the HDD.
That is fixable, but better to find out now rather than when you're on the road.

For all the other stuff? It is the same system...it will work.

tecmo34

Administrator
Are you wanting to be able to access the hard drive and files while traveling or will you be putting the "PC" together when you get to where you are going (moving to one place to another)?

I would recommend taking the hard drive out and get a cheap or decent external enclosure for the hard drive. This will allow you to access the hard drive a laptop or another PC while still making it easy for you to travel with the information. Not sure what type of traveling you are doing but this is an option.

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Are you wanting to be able to access the hard drive and files while traveling or will you be putting the "PC" together when you get to where you are going (moving to one place to another)?

I would recommend taking the hard drive out and get a cheap or decent external enclosure for the hard drive. This will allow you to access the hard drive a laptop or another PC while still making it easy for you to travel with the information. Not sure what type of traveling you are doing but this is an option.
Just when once I get there.