Old Drive to new Drive

theojkett

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Hey Kids,
My 8 year old Cyberpower PC power supply killed itself and took the motherboard, CPU and my new GTX-1050 with it. Thankfully, the drives are okay. So I broke down and ordered a new Dell XPS with similar specs. The new Dell is coming with Windows 10 already installed on a 256gb SSD drive. On my existing 500gb SATA is my original Windows 10 install AND a boat load of programs that I use for work. The office already told me they will not give me the CD's because it's not a company machine. So now when I get the new Dell, I could just put the old drive in the system and be done with it, but the new Dell has the SSD with the OS on it. Can't I just image the Programs I need to the new drive? I know about registry keys and all that but I'm hoping there is software out there that will handle that for me and just transfer the programs I need to the new drive. I know this has been asked a gazillion times but they weren't specific to just one program like my question.

I suspect though that I will be SOL.

Thanks in advance for your help.
TJK

Solution
You could try going into the bios and booting from the old drive. Win10 is very good with booting from new systems. If it works, all the programs should still be there and work. If it doesn't you can still try to use them while booting from the SSD. Some will work, others won't.

4745454b

Titan
You could try going into the bios and booting from the old drive. Win10 is very good with booting from new systems. If it works, all the programs should still be there and work. If it doesn't you can still try to use them while booting from the SSD. Some will work, others won't.

Solution