Old E8400 Problem

XCalinX

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm having problems with my Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz CPU. When I boot the Pc, the CPU fan doesn't spins, there is no noise but everything else works fine. My specs: C2d e8400, GTX650Ti 1GB, 212 EVO, 4GB DDR2, Seasonic S12 520W, ASUS P5KPL-C/1600. What should I do? Thanks

Solution
OK then. Where the OP says "...but everything else works fine..." gave a misleading impression. What exactly is the failure you're seeing? You can troubleshoot the fan by plugging it into a different fan header or even a different motherboard if you can find one to test with. As to the rest... describe in greater detail the problem.

XCalinX

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

IMPORTANT: FORGOT to mention that it doesnt post!

OK then. Where the OP says "...but everything else works fine..." gave a misleading impression. What exactly is the failure you're seeing? You can troubleshoot the fan by plugging it into a different fan header or even a different motherboard if you can find one to test with. As to the rest... describe in greater detail the problem.

Solution

XCalinX

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

I mean, the CPU Fan doesn't spin, it makes no noise and the PC doesn't post. The GPU/PSU fans are working just fine, there is nothing wrong with them, so I think it's a CPU problem. I tried to reinstall it, applied thermal paste again but no result.

The system may not be POSTing because it detects the fan isn't spinning ('m not sure how the BIOS on that board operates but some systems will halt without a working fan). Have you tried the fan in different headers, tried a different fan in those headers or tried the fan in a different PC? We need to go through some steps to determine the culprit.

Also, can you describe in more detail what is meant when it "doesn't POST?" IS there any output at all to the screen? Are there LEDs on the board that light?

If the fan doesn't work anywhere, replace it and see if the PC works with a new fan.

If the fan works but not in that header, and no fan works in that header (or if a new fan works but the system still won't POST) we have a different issue. We'd then start troubleshooting the board and CPU (and PSU). First remove all non-essentials (audio, usb, sata cables, everything but power, ram, cpu and in this case, gpu since there's no onboard video). Reseat the RAM.

Then we'd have to move on to trying different parts. If you don't have them you might have to try to borrow them from a friend or try some way to find them:

a different CPU compatible with that board
a different PSU

it's just a detective process really.

XCalinX

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Thanks for yoir answer, I'm going to try to use the stock cooler (with its fan) and see if it works. I have another PSU wich I used on this PC before but I don't have a CPU compatible with the board. (only a p1 150mhz loool). There are leds on the motherboard, that's what I meant when I said that everything else works fine

Is there no way you can borrow a compatible CPU to rule that out? Have you removed and re-seated the memory?

Since this is an older system I'd assume that board is out of warranty. You can try to look for a new board compatible with that CPU on ebay (it'd be hard to find a new one anymore). Support sites for those boards should still be available from the manufactrers to check specs and compatibility

If it's the mobo, it's tough to fix it. Your best bet in that case would be replacement. If you can spare $19 for a test CPU here's one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pentium-Dual-Core-E5300-2-6GHz-2M-800-Socket-775-LGA775-Processor-CPU-/221308748076?pt=CPUs&hash=item338707812c

In general though, CPU failures are fairly rare and motherboard failures much more common. There's a good selection on ebay like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P5G41-M-LE-DDR2-775-INTEL-G41-DVI-VGA-DESKTOP-MOTHERBOARD-NO-I-O-SHIELD-/390574049647?pt=Motherboards&hash=item5af007096f

Where did you get the board from? Was it listed as new?

XCalinX

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

Got a new mobo and it works (G41M COMBO), also got DDR3 RAM and works too,
Thanks for all the help!