[SOLVED] OLD GAME HELP

Aug 9, 2019
Hi, I recently want to replay all the old games I played when I was younger (around 2001-2005).

I recently got my hands on one of them, (finally) and I installed it on my PC fine, however - when I open it up, it changes the resolution like most old games do - but then it crashes with no explanation.

Then I used the recommended troubleshooter and it worked!
BUT the graphics are screwed, everything is bright blue/green/purple, I tried switching to run on 16bit - but again, it crashes.

What do I do?!

Solution
Before going the DxWnd route, check your compatibility settings manually.

Right click on the Shortcut icon, select "properties", then the "compatibility" tab. See what the troubleshooter set as the windows compatible version. Check your box listed minimum requirements against the "run program in compatibility mode" box and check t and make sure an appropriate OS was chosen.

Make sure the game is running as administrator.

You can manually try the other settings there as well one at a time.

Absent that, you'll probably need to create the appropriate shims with DxWnd

If a demo was available, someone could probably hep with that, but this game seems to be pretty esoteric, can't find muchl info on it anywhere
You really should specify the titles shadowyrd.

The fix for each (if there is one) are often game specific, not generic. You may need specific older video drivers, you may need to enable deprecated windows functions, you may need to run an old OS in a VM, etc.

The fix may be easy, It may be hard, there may not be a fix.
Some games have forums devoted to them, with pages of postings on what people had to do, to fix issues with specific versions of a single game, to get it to run.

Specifying a single thread to a single game might also happen to garner more views and appropriate help

Also specifying your exact Windows version and build may be relevant, as well as what video hardware you are running.

Also, running old discs, or a GOG release ?

Aug 9, 2019
You really should specify the titles shadowyrd.

The fix for each (if there is one) are often game specific, not generic. You may need specific older video drivers, you may need to enable deprecated windows functions, you may need to run an old OS in a VM, etc.

The fix may be easy, It may be hard, there may not be a fix.
Some games have forums devoted to them, with pages of postings on what people had to do, to fix issues with specific versions of a single game, to get it to run.

Specifying a single thread to a single game might also happen to garner more views and appropriate help

Also specifying your exact Windows version and build may be relevant, as well as what video hardware you are running.

Also, running old discs, or a GOG release ?
Okay, here is one of them, which is pretty much the worst one out of the three, so Im hoping if I figure this one out - the same method would work for the rest.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftnyDpGgReI

This youtuber is playing it and it runs perfectly, unlike mine.
There are two types of this game, I have the Willowbrook Stables one (which was the original from 2003).

So its definitely possible to play, I am just having a hard time getting it to run in a good way.

Aug 9, 2019
So me and my cousin recently got our hands on one of the PC games we had as children and we decided to play it.

We installed it just fine - then we tried to run the game, and it crashed.
So I troubleshooted the compatibility and used the recommended settings, and it ran! BUT as soon as I created a character and entered the game - The graphics were soooo over saturated (everything was bright blue/purple).

So I tried to run it another way (16 bit) using the troubleshooter. And again - it crashes.

Please help!

The game Im trying to run is Willowbrook Stables (2003).
I am using Windows 10 / 64bit.

As far as I know, the recommended troubleshoot setting is the only way the game will actually run, I just have the graphics problem

Its not my graphics card either, all the other games are working - just not the older 2002-2003 ones.

Please help!

In Windows 10, if the troubleshooting guide did not enable it, the first thing to check would be if Direct Play was turned on. This is a deprecated feature and generally OFF by default as Direct X 12 handles things a bit differently than Direct X 8

In your lower left taskbar search box type "Turn windows features on off" (if probably should appear once you type Turn windows )
Look though the list for "Legacy Component"
under that Checkbox, you will see "direct play", put a checkmark in the box if it's not already there, then click ok

Aug 9, 2019
In Windows 10, if the troubleshooting guide did not enable it, the first thing to check would be if Direct Play was turned on. This is a deprecated feature and generally OFF by default as Direct X 12 handles things a bit differently than Direct X 8

In your lower left taskbar search box type "Turn windows features on off" (if probably should appear once you type Turn windows )
Look though the list for "Legacy Component"
under that Checkbox, you will see "direct play", put a checkmark in the box if it's not already there, then click ok

Okay I tried that, and it was already checked.
I tried to troubleshoot the game again today - and the same problem still happens, I can play the game, but the graphics are still all saturated. Ive attached a photo
BTn19sd.png

Before going the DxWnd route, check your compatibility settings manually.

Right click on the Shortcut icon, select "properties", then the "compatibility" tab. See what the troubleshooter set as the windows compatible version. Check your box listed minimum requirements against the "run program in compatibility mode" box and check t and make sure an appropriate OS was chosen.

Make sure the game is running as administrator.

You can manually try the other settings there as well one at a time.

Absent that, you'll probably need to create the appropriate shims with DxWnd

If a demo was available, someone could probably hep with that, but this game seems to be pretty esoteric, can't find muchl info on it anywhere

Solution