Discussion Old games that have/haven't stood the test of time

This discussion is to find out what games gamers believe have aged well (or poorly) this can be graphics gameplay or really anything as I am curious what people think.
(4+ years old just so games from last year and such aren't mentioned)

Jul 24, 2019
I do have a soft spot for MDK and MDK2, both with cool mechanics that were way ahead of their time.

Civilization V is almost 10 years old now, and it aged amazingly well. Gameplay has only gotten better with updates and the visual presentation is simply timeless.

Terraria is over 8 years old, and I had a hard time believing that, still one of my favorite games and waiting for the next update.
Planetside 2 is almost 7 years old and still great to play, another favorite game.
Starcraft 2 held up great other than a dwindling playerbase.

As for games that didnt hold up well, fallout 3/new vegas look absolutely horrendous, but they will always have a special place.

I do have a soft spot for MDK and MDK2, both with cool mechanics that were way ahead of their time.

Civilization V is almost 10 years old now, and it aged amazingly well. Gameplay has only gotten better with updates and the visual presentation is simply timeless.
I see idk what MDK is but yeah tho the civ publisher but a shady new term to the agreement to play civ 6 (at least last time I checked don't believe it's in the civ 5 agreement) but yeah it's a fun game...tho games take hours I played a game with 3 friends it took us 8 hours before one of them nuked the world.

Terraria is over 8 years old, and I had a hard time believing that, still one of my favorite games and waiting for the next update.
Planetside 2 is almost 7 years old and still great to play, another favorite game.
Starcraft 2 held up great other than a dwindling playerbase.

As for games that didnt hold up well, fallout 3/new vegas look absolutely horrendous, but they will always have a special place.
Only played Terraria and can agree Fallout 3 is a mess I agree I tried fallout 4 as well and I think the game is super meh Bethesda has just kinda went lazy I hope they don't ruin ES VI and I am worried since they are using the same engine for ES VI and their new IP...

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Civilization 5 definitely got better over time and I would enjoy it to this day. I haven't had enough free time to invest in 6 yet though. I play those games on maxed out timelines and I just don't have the free time these days for them.

Plants vs. Zombies is one that feels as fresh as the day it came out. That one is straight up entertaining!

Galactic Civilizations 2 was one that upon retrying for fond memories and upon actually redoing was aggravating. The flaws in the game (bugs, simplistic graphics, planet management issues, constructor tedium, the same civilizations always getting wiped out first...) were just too much.

At the time it's AI was one of the first to think of things like surrendering to your worst enemy seemed revolutionary. Upon replay the AI was predictable and simplistic. It would do dumb things like declare wars without a military in place.

In the past I used to hang onto games and kinda horde them. Now, if I can't ever imagine starting it up ever again they get uninstalled.

I'm gonna say right now Bioshock Infinite so far it's a little bit clunky but the graphics are decent for its time the gameplay is fun and I really love the story the abilities are interesting tho somethings feel too predictable but the game is still very enjoyable.

Another game is the original Dishonored that game was so fun I got to play so many games thanks to Xbox games with gold and this was one of the gems and like Bioshock, it's still very enjoyable and fun to play can't say much for graphics as they are a bit eh now the story I don't really remember too much I got the worse ending bc I didn't understand you weren't supposed to kill everyone I bought it on PC recently so may play through it again.

Civilization 5 definitely got better over time and I would enjoy it to this day. I haven't had enough free time to invest in 6 yet though. I play those games on maxed out timelines and I just don't have the free time these days for them.

Plants vs. Zombies is one that feels as fresh as the day it came out. That one is straight up entertaining!

Galactic Civilizations 2 was one that upon retrying for fond memories and upon actually redoing was aggravating. The flaws in the game (bugs, simplistic graphics, planet management issues, constructor tedium, the same civilizations always getting wiped out first...) were just too much.

At the time it's AI was one of the first to think of things like surrendering to your worst enemy seemed revolutionary. Upon replay the AI was predictable and simplistic. It would do dumb things like declare wars without a military in place.

In the past I used to hang onto games and kinda horde them. Now, if I can't ever imagine starting it up ever again they get uninstalled.
PvsZ is an interesting one but it's very fun if you don't got anything else to do I haven't heard of the other game but sounds fun!

The original Crysis was revolutionary for its day and still isn't bad. Not a good multiplayer game, but graphically it still isn't bad. Allows you a range of configuring your weapons on the fly (a mechanic I miss in other games), and often a variety of ways to approach doing an objective, or skipping certain objectives altogether.

For those who have never played it, the original F.E.A.R.. The level geometry is dated and shows it's age. This game just oozes creepy atmosphere though and has decent enemy A.I.

The Portal series from Valve.

Reactions: dudeman509

cewhidx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I still play the crap out of Dirt 2. I've also recently gotten into the old Final Fantasy games that have been ported to pc: vii-xii.

Fallout anything hasn't aged well. Clunky UI, crappy graphics. The older ones were better than 4/76 for sure though.

The Bioshock series has aged very well. Although I like gameplay/weapons more in Infinite, the originals are still great to play with a great story.

I recently re-played Halo 1 and it annoyed me so much that you go back through the same level 3x.

I really enjoyed the F.E.A.R. games back in the day. The Mass Effect series has also aged pretty well IMO.

My brother and I still sometimes play the original Medal of Honor (Allied Assault) and Call of Duty in multiplayer. It's fun just to run around shooting each other, and the game will run on any piece of crap laptop we have laying around.

Reactions: AngelTech

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
I almost forgot. Another ancient one that I still might play sometimes is the original Star Wars Battlefront. I like it more than the sequels.

The graphics are OK(certainly nothing like today) and sakes alive are your fellow NPC teammates stupid- but the game really does have a SW feel to it and it does have a lot of fun.

I have been on a kick about this. In recent years they keep cranking out technical wonders- but how many of them are any fun?

Ley

Honorable
May 1, 2016
I'd say Terraria too, as well as Diablo 2. The gameplay is still enjoyable and imo it has aged well. Not that well, but still.

I wouldn't count Terraria simply because it's a bit too new for me to consider it an "old" game. Sure, it first came out eight years ago, but it's still getting major content updates released for it, arguably making it a "current" title. I haven't played it in some years, and had recently been thinking of giving it another go, but seeing as the final major planned content update is set to come out sometime in the coming months, I might just wait until then.

For a list like this, I would only consider titles that were at least around 10 years old. Compared to decades past, games simply don't improve enough from one year to the next to consider those from several years back as being much different from the latest releases. If a game that recent has notable problems, that's probably because it had those issues when it came out as well, even if many were able to overlook them.

I wouldn't count Terraria simply because it's a bit too new for me to consider it an "old" game. Sure, it first came out eight years ago, but it's still getting major content updates released for it, arguably making it a "current" title. I haven't played it in some years, and had recently been thinking of giving it another go, but seeing as the final major planned content update is set to come out sometime in the coming months, I might just wait until then.

For a list like this, I would only consider titles that were at least around 10 years old. Compared to decades past, games simply don't improve enough from one year to the next to consider those from several years back as being much different from the latest releases. If a game that recent has notable problems, that's probably because it had those issues when it came out as well, even if many were able to overlook them.
That's fair but that's why I made the limit 4+ years yes 10 years is old but 4 years is quite a while and most games mentioned have been older then 4 years as for Terraria I agree and disagree if it's old but I see your point.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Skyrim yet.

Out of the real old ones:
The original RollerCoaster Tycoon trilogy,
Half Life
WarCraft 3
Honestly, I can't agree with Skyrim the engine they use is dated the combat feels pretty clunky now physics were horrid (Horse + Dragonborn + Mountain = usually climbs up) even graphics wise the game doesn't hold up too well is it still fun? very but to me, only with mods the game was good for its time but now it feels very eh without mods.

Honestly, I can't agree with Skyrim the engine they use is dated the combat feels pretty clunky now physics were horrid (Horse + Dragonborn + Mountain = usually climbs up) even graphics wise the game doesn't hold up too well is it still fun? very but to me, only with mods the game was good for its time but now it feels very eh without mods.
The modding community is why i mentioned it. Don't like the physics? there's a mod for that. Don't like the graphics? there's a mod for that. Don't like the combat? there's a mod for that.
It's as far as i know the most modded game in existence and there are people still creating mods for it.

Reactions: AngelTech
The modding community is why i mentioned it. Don't like the physics? there's a mod for that. Don't like the graphics? there's a mod for that. Don't like the combat? there's a mod for that.
It's as far as i know the most modded game in existence and there are people still creating mods for it.
Ah, I thought you meant vanilla ES V I really hope ES VI is playable...even tho it's gonna be on creation engine...

Jul 25, 2019

lol, no one under the age of 30 remembers playing MDK. It was an amazing game though, both of them.

Jul 24, 2019
lol, no one under the age of 30 remembers playing MDK. It was an amazing game though, both of them.

How did you know my age? ;)

Also, Rollcage was amazing, having fond memories. GRIP Combat Racing is a spiritual successor, basically the same game with better physics and graphics + some extra features.

Jul 25, 2019
How did you know my age? ;)

Also, Rollcage was amazing, having fond memories. GRIP Combat Racing is a spiritual successor, basically the same game with better physics and graphics + some extra features.

1997. Most people were at least 10 by the time they were playing that game. ;)