Old GeForce FX 5700LE Problem

roll_right

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I'd appreciate some advice on this one:

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 I am working on with 2.2GHz Pentium 4 CPU and 1 gig ram. It is currently using whatever integrated POS video card it comes with and I am trying to get an old GeForce FX 5700le to work on it. The computer and card are both PCI.

Now the problem is I get the card in easily and boot up the computer. It shows the Graphics Card specs on the first screen, successfully does the ESCD, goes to the Windows XP loading screen, then goes to a black screen as if it is going to go to the desktop...and stays there.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? The card is about 3-4 years old but worked on my other PC (another, similar Dell) about a year ago until the hard drive died on it and I acquistioned my grandmother's computer (she got a new one, pretty sad I am still using my granny's old PC). I believe I tried to move the graphics card over and may have run into this same problem. Soon after all this I left the country for a year and am now recently back having forgotten much of what I had been doing on this PC.

I don't really game anymore on PC so it isn't that vital to get this working. I just thought I might putter around with some oldish games while I have nothing to do, but maybe if I can't get this to work I'll be forced to read a book or something.

jj555298

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
You might try going into your display settings and switching the default display to your 5700. That should work but if it doesn't you can also try disabling the onboard VGA within your bios.