[SOLVED] Old GPU died, could it damage another components?

Sep 15, 2019
Hey, guys! So, my old GeForce 980 died. First red flag was, when pc suddenly turned off and I could smell smoke. But after I turned pc on again, it was fine for around 2 months. Then one evening during the game, the screen went completely black, but I could hear my mates talking in game and game sounds as well. Restarted pc, launched another game. It was fine in menu, but later screen went black again. After another restart, screen was black from the start, gpu fans started rotating on max speed, and suddenly gpu started to sparkle and smoke came out. A couple months passed by and I’m buying new gtx 1660 and I wonder, could motherboard or another components get damaged by previous gpu? And is it possible that new gpu get damaged from this ? Thanks!

Solution
Unlikely directly, but indirectly. For example, if it was damaged because of a poor quality power supply, the same conditions would be present with a new GPU.
Sep 15, 2019
Unlikely directly, but indirectly. For example, if it was damaged because of a poor quality power supply, the same conditions would be present with a new GPU.
Thanks for your reply! I bought it almost 5 years ago and it went through some harsh conditions lol. My bad was, that I didn’t pay much attention to the pc cleanliness and sometimes it was quite dusty. Moreover, gpu had been working in the hot summer for like 10 hours every day. I guess all this reasons combined and this situation happened.