[SOLVED] Old GPU died, looking for replacement

Jul 8, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
Hi, recently my old gpu (Radeon R9 380) died and I'm looking for a budget replacement, I've been looking at the RX 550 and it seems good, are there any better options? preferrably < 100$ I don't really plan on playing any high performance games like the witcher 3, the most demanding game I can think of playing is divinity , thanks

Solution
okay so, both of those gpus are like you said, low budget.
a good rule of thumb is, the cheapest thing on the market is almost never a good value.

if you want to get something much better, you should look for a used 760, or 1050. they might be 2nd hand, but they will be SO much better, it wont be in the same ballpark.
Even if you are not comfortable with 2nd hand, i insist you should do it.
getting a gt 1030 (which is the better option of the 2, but you still shouldnt get it)
is a terrible value, and you will be wasting the little budget you have.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah I know :( sadly I don't have much money rn and pricing and finding cards can be really tricky since im not from the U.S. I'll look into finding a 580 or 570
What country are you buying in? In the US, a lot of RX 560 cards are more expensive than the RX 570. The RX 550 is cheaper, but not by enough to justify the performance drop.

There was one point (close to Christmas) where a new RX 570 4GB could be had for $99.99 (after rebates). Right now, unfortunately, the RX 570 is starting at $140 and RX 580 starting at $170.

You could consider the used market, go with an RX 570. It performs slightly better than the R9 380 while using less power.

Also, are you CERTAIN that it's the GPU, and not maybe an old or questionable power supply? What's the brand and EXACT model of your PSU, and how old is it?

Reactions: boju
Jul 8, 2020
What country are you buying in? In the US, a lot of RX 560 cards are more expensive than the RX 570. The RX 550 is cheaper, but not by enough to justify the performance drop.

There was one point (close to Christmas) where a new RX 570 4GB could be had for $99.99 (after rebates). Right now, unfortunately, the RX 570 is starting at $140 and RX 580 starting at $170.

You could consider the used market, go with an RX 570. It performs slightly better than the R9 380 while using less power.

Also, are you CERTAIN that it's the GPU, and not maybe an old or questionable power supply? What's the brand and EXACT model of your PSU, and how old is it?

Im from Mexico so I'm buying from here, as for being certain about the problem being the GPU, my issues started happening about a week ago, my pc would black screen whenever I tried playing a game and it wasn't until yesterday that my screen suddenly looked like this: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/o0cOIas

Since then I changed to integrated graphics and it has been working fine, plus I can open the games I wasn't able to open without crashing although they run super slow, all my pc components are 5 years old since I built my pc 5 years ago and the specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor

Mobo: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 4 GB Video Card

PSU: EVGA 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

bnv016

Honorable
Jul 6, 2015
I would agree with King_V. A used/refurbished RX 570 sold from a reliable seller can be bought for a bit more than $100. Good performance and value, especially for what you play. This could be a good option. And if you shop a bit more shrewdly, you could probably get a used card for an even better value, especially if you bid on an auction. However, seeing as you're buying only in Mexico, cards in the US might not be an option.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I suspect that particular model of EVGA is not among their good ones. It's possible that the PSU is starting to become a little flaky, and thus can manage with the integrated graphics, but is now struggling with the additional load of your R9 380.

Unfortunately, I'm given to understand that in Central and South American countries, high-quality PSUs are less available, and typically quite expensive.

Now I'm sort of not sure. It could be that the video card has died, or it could be that the PSU is not as robust as it once was (and it was never a strong model to begin with). I don't suppose there's any way you could borrow a PSU out of another system (if you have one) or from a friend, and see if your system works with the R9 380? That would help narrow down whether the card has died, or if the PSU is not aging well. Alternately, if you can try your R9 380 in another PC, in a friend's PC, or whatever, as an alternate method of determining whether it's really the GPU or not.

I know this is adding complexity to the problem, but I don't want to see a possible situation where you spend on another video card, then wind up with similar problems as you had with the R9 380.

Reactions: Ziadul87
Jul 8, 2020
I suspect that particular model of EVGA is not among their good ones. It's possible that the PSU is starting to become a little flaky, and thus can manage with the integrated graphics, but is now struggling with the additional load of your R9 380.

Unfortunately, I'm given to understand that in Central and South American countries, high-quality PSUs are less available, and typically quite expensive.

Now I'm sort of not sure. It could be that the video card has died, or it could be that the PSU is not as robust as it once was (and it was never a strong model to begin with). I don't suppose there's any way you could borrow a PSU out of another system (if you have one) or from a friend, and see if your system works with the R9 380? That would help narrow down whether the card has died, or if the PSU is not aging well. Alternately, if you can try your R9 380 in another PC, in a friend's PC, or whatever, as an alternate method of determining whether it's really the GPU or not.

I know this is adding complexity to the problem, but I don't want to see a possible situation where you spend on another video card, then wind up with similar problems as you had with the R9 380.

Unfortunately I don't have any way to borrow another PSU :confused_old:

Jul 8, 2020
Recently my old gpu died and I'm looking for a cheap replacement since my budget is low rn, after hours of looking I've only found 2 gpu's being sold where I live, so im torn between choosing the GT 1030 and the RX 550 the price is basically the same and from what I've seen their performance is basically the same so Im leading towards choosing the 1030 since it's made by msi and sold by a more trustworthy company so if anything went wrong it would be easier to refund or apply the warranty whereas the RX 550 is made by sapphire which looks like doesn't have any support in my country

okay so, both of those gpus are like you said, low budget.
a good rule of thumb is, the cheapest thing on the market is almost never a good value.

if you want to get something much better, you should look for a used 760, or 1050. they might be 2nd hand, but they will be SO much better, it wont be in the same ballpark.
Even if you are not comfortable with 2nd hand, i insist you should do it.
getting a gt 1030 (which is the better option of the 2, but you still shouldnt get it)
is a terrible value, and you will be wasting the little budget you have.

Solution