[SOLVED] Old GPU died, new GTX 1080ti outputs black screen

Apr 29, 2021
Hey, first post here.

So my old mobo quit on me and I decided to try an mITX setup with a new B550-I along with some new parts (full specs below). I figured I could run it with my old GPU (GTX 780ti) which was also the case until that also quit on me (it ran perfectly fine for 6 months). It still outputs signal, but with some weird white lines which I would assume is an indication that it’s closing in on its ultimate demise. A friend of mine was kind enough to lend me his old GTX 1080ti (which was working fine up until he swapped it for a 3080) . Happy as ever I plugged it in expecting fireworks, but saw nothing.

It appears to boot up fine but doesn’t output anything, the display turns on when booting but just displays a black screen. I have downgraded and upgraded the BIOS a couple of times to no avail, I have also reseated most parts with no effect, the display is still black. I also wiped all graphics drivers with DDU and proceeded to wipe the HDD. My CPU doesn’t have integrated graphics either which makes things a bit tricker, however the old GPU still works and I can see BIOS with that plugged in. Interesting during boot is that the white VGA led lights up for a minute or so and then proceeds as normal (with old GPU it only lights up for a few seconds), which is when the display turns on. If anything is unclear or needs further details, I would be happy to elaborate. I’m out of ideas, please enlighten me.

And yes, all necessary cables are plugged in to the GPU.

Specs:
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6Ghz
PSU: Corsair SF600 600W 80+ Platinum
RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16 Vengeance
HDD: WD Blue SN550 SSD 500GB M.2

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I would try 780Ti and 1080Ti in your friends machine to rule out both. Especially the 780. If 780 has no issue then we could look elsewhere. Bit of coincidence here so I'd do that.

Other things to check could be how the card is being seated properly. Pcie cables properly plugged both ends if modular and try different PCIe cable if psu came with more.

Check also the video cable isn't being obstructed slightly if port is close to the case chassis.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I would try 780Ti and 1080Ti in your friends machine to rule out both. Especially the 780. If 780 has no issue then we could look elsewhere. Bit of coincidence here so I'd do that.

Other things to check could be how the card is being seated properly. Pcie cables properly plugged both ends if modular and try different PCIe cable if psu came with more.

Check also the video cable isn't being obstructed slightly if port is close to the case chassis.

Solution