Question Old GPU in a new system??

Tony2020

Prominent
May 25, 2020
Hello everyone.

I recently built a new system using i7 11700k in a Asus Prime Z590-A and powered by a 750W PSU. Because the lack of GPUs in the market and the the prices of the ones available so far exceeds my budget, I thought to keep using my old HD 7700 GPU (1GB) for now.

However, after installing this card, the fan spins at boot for one or two seconds and stops spinning. Obviously, I have no picture on the screen. All the other fans (CPU and case) continue to spin.

I installed an even older GPU (512MB) that has no fan and no power source requirements and i am able to boot and work as usual.

The HD 7700 is working in my old system powered by a 350W PSU without any issues.

Would you give me any idea what could it be wrong and what could I do in order to make the HD 7700 work?

Thank you.

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
Do the fans spin when playing games or under a load ?
The new CPU/ motherboard might be controlling its power and fan use.
All modern GPU fans do not spin until a load threshold is reached, and then they will start to work

Lutfij

Titan
750W is the advertised wattage of the PSU, what is the make and model of the unit? It's age will also be a good to for us to know. Might want to also mention the make and model of the GPU that did work on your new platform. Since you're on a K suffix processor, you should be able to get video off the iGPU which should be better than the discrete GPU's that you have at hand.

Tony2020

Prominent
May 25, 2020
750W is the advertised wattage of the PSU, what is the make and model of the unit? It's age will also be a good to for us to know. Might want to also mention the make and model of the GPU that did work on your new platform. Since you're on a K suffix processor, you should be able to get video off the iGPU which should be better than the discrete GPU's that you have at hand.
Since I use the desktop for work and no gaming at all, the AutoCad software I use is a CPU dependent, I thought to keep the graphics on a separate GPU even if it is an older one. The Hd7700 has served me well so far and for that reason I preferred to still keep it on my new build instead of using the older one which is AMD Radeo HD 5450.
The PSU (and all the rest of the parts) is less than one month old and is from EVGA Supernova 750 G+, 80 Plus Gold 750W.
I tried all the four different ports of the VGA in the PSU itself and all the same problem.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you

Since I use the desktop for work and no gaming at all, the AutoCad software I use is a CPU dependent, I thought to keep the graphics on a separate GPU even if it is an older one. The Hd7700 has served me well so far and for that reason I preferred to still keep it on my new build instead of using the older one which is AMD Radeo HD 5450.
The PSU (and all the rest of the parts) is less than one month old and is from EVGA Supernova 750 G+, 80 Plus Gold 750W.
I tried all the four different ports of the VGA in the PSU itself and all the same problem.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you
There is no reason to use a discrete GPU since you are not gaming. Autocad will not benefit at all from HD7700 and you will also use less power for the system.

The reason of not booting may be the legacy vs uefi bios but I can't be certain.

Tony2020

Prominent
May 25, 2020
There is no reason to use a discrete GPU since you are not gaming. Autocad will not benefit at all from HD7700 and you will also use less power for the system.

The reason of not booting may be the legacy vs uefi bios but I can't be certain.
The idea is to help AutoCad by keeping all the CPU resources for Autocad and the graphic resources to the GPU when it is needed.

Thank you

The idea is to help AutoCad by keeping all the CPU resources for Autocad and the graphic resources to the GPU when it is needed.

Thank you
To my knowledge, those two are separate things in modern CPUs and the use of one does not make the other worse. At least that's what I have seen in the systems I have been working on and that's what I have been also reading in other threads on this forum.

Someone that knows better may confirm or embarrass me! What do you think @Karadjgne ?

larkspur

Distinguished
Hello,

The difference between using your HD 7000-series GPU and using the integrated graphics is fairly minimal. The integrated graphics will likely eat a little more system RAM than the drivers for your GPU but it shouldn't be that much.

That being said, you seem to really want to use your graphics card so:
  1. It sounds like there is a legacy/UEFI BIOS issue with your HD 7000-series GPU preventing your card from displaying anything pre-windows boot.
  2. Make sure the card is plugged into the PCIe slot and any PCIe power cables are hooked up to your PSU
  3. Plug your monitor into the appropriate motherboard connector (NOT the graphics card). We will temporarily be using the integrated graphics.
  4. Boot into Windows. Go to device manager and make sure the HD 7000-series card shows up in Display Adapters
  5. Run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and remove any AMD (or Nvidia) display drivers - leave any Intel ones alone.
  6. Download the newest appropriate driver for your HD 7000-series graphics card directly from AMD - do not use the auto-detect feature, manually select the driver yourself. There is no HD 7700 that I'm aware of - it's probably a 7730, 7750 or a 7770 or 7790 - figure that out before downloading the driver.
  7. Install the driver
  8. Let the system restart if necessary.
  9. When the driver is installed and the system has rebooted, go back to device manager and make sure that your graphics card is listed and is using the driver that you just downloaded.
  10. Shutdown the system
  11. Connect the monitor to the graphics card and boot up the system
  12. You won't see the BIOS POST screen or anything until Windows boots so be patient. When Windows boots the monitor should display the login screen and your system should now be working normally. Hopefully anyway!
  13. If you ever need to get into the BIOS you will probably have to use the integrated graphics to do so - just plug the monitor into the appropriate motherboard port and then boot up.
Hopefully that helps, I dunno - worth a try anyway.

Last edited: