[SOLVED] Old GPU overheating on new build ?

Apr 30, 2022
Hi all,

I finally decided to update my old setup with a fresh one but I wanted to keep my old GTX970 waiting for the 4000 serie to come out.

The build went well and Windows was running smoothly when I decided to try and launch a game. As soon as the GPU got load, its fans went immediately to 100%. After a parallel analysis with HWiNFO, it seems that the GPU temperature rises instantly to 85-90°C as soon as it's under load, which triggers the thermal performance limit. The thing I can't understand is why the exact same GPU never goes over 75°C on the old setup, having the fans around 45°C. The result of this is actually worst performances (same game, same configs, same monitor) with the new system due to the thermal limiter.

I kind of doubt the exactitude of this GPU temperature reading, even thought it's similar on both systems at idle (~40-45°C with a room temp around 22°C). After a couple minutes under load, the heatsink of the old system is really hot (could be around 70°C, but I don't have an IR thermometer) whereas the heatsink on the new system is barely hot. This actually matches the GPU VRM temperature readings, which are around 70-80°C on the old system and 50°C on the new one.

Would you guys have any suggestion where to start looking ?

Old system :
Mobo : ASUS Z87-Deluxe
CPU : Intel i7 4770K
RAM : 16G DDR3-666
PSU : Corsair AX760
GPU : Asus STRIX GTX 970

New system:
Mobo : Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro
CPU : Intel i7 12700K
RAM : 32G DDR5-5200
PSU : Corsair RM850x
GPU : Asus STRIX GTX 970 (from old system)

Last edited:
Solution
Most likely cause is dried out thermal paste.
When you moved it from one computer to the other the heatsink moved slightly breaking the original contact between die and cooler.
A repaste will most likely fix your overheating problem.

Lutfij

Titan
When you state performing your upgrade, did you reinstall the OS after the upgrade? As for the OS, where did you source the installer for the OS? Lastly, you're advised to manually install all relevant drivers on a clean install of Windows, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Apr 30, 2022
When you state performing your upgrade, did you reinstall the OS after the upgrade? As for the OS, where did you source the installer for the OS? Lastly, you're advised to manually install all relevant drivers on a clean install of Windows, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
As it's a new SSD, I reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch using the MS tool which downloaded the iso and made the USB drive bootable. For the drivers, I installed the nVidia one from their website and all the other ones using Gigabyte 's utility. I can try and run them again with admin privileges indeed.

And I also forgot to mention that I updated the BIOS to its last version (F8f) prior to the installation of Windows

What is the make/model of your case and fan arrangement?
What is the make/model of your cpu cooler?

I think what is happening is that your new cpu is able to drive the graphics card much harder, the result is more heat.

If, for example, you bought a aio cooler for your new cpu and you mounted it in front as intake, the warmed air is being used to cool the gpu.

Apr 30, 2022
Well, sorry for the (very) late answer but I had to run some (a lot) more tests.
I didn't believe in thermal paste issue because I ran the test with two exact same GC and they behaved the same. Plus, it worked well in the old PC, not going hotter than 75°C.

It couldn't be a cooling issue either, as the CPU is air cooled and the air temp inside the case stayed quite low.

Then I tried a 2070, which worked well. Then a 1050, which worked also...

A bit desperate, I thought, as geofelt suggested, that the issue was simply that the CPU was driving the GPU too hard. So I decided to remount the system and buy a 3000 serie one of these days. As I had thermal paste left from the CPU mounting, I decided to still give it a try and TADAAA, the GPU is now working perfectly...

Apparently the two 970 I tried aged the exact same way. The thing I can't explain is why it was still working well in the old PC... I doubt that a i7-4770K is not able to make the 970 work hard enough.

Thank you very much for your answers !