[SOLVED] Old GPU to tinker with?

bjerrum

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
Hello. I have a spare Intel system sitting in my basement not being used.

Intel Pentium G4600
Gigabyte B250M-Evo
1x Corsair Vengeance 8GB-2400
EVGA 430W

I came up with a fun little idea not too long ago. What if I bought an older GPU to: one, have in the system for a family member down the line or something, and two, mess with GPU overclocking a bit.
I haven't truly tried overclocking ever, and I thought it would be a good learning opportunity.
Ofourse, it doesn't have the greatest power supply in the world, but I'd like some recommendations that may fit it well. I don't want something really old, but I would like something cheap.
Thank you.

Solution
EVGA is the brand while 430W is the wattage, how old is the PSU and what was it powering prior? Capacitors over time will degrade reducing the effective amount of power output to the entire system. You could look at a GTX1050Ti or a GTX1660Ti simply because your platform is grounds for an entry level gaming setup.

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA is the brand while 430W is the wattage, how old is the PSU and what was it powering prior? Capacitors over time will degrade reducing the effective amount of power output to the entire system. You could look at a GTX1050Ti or a GTX1660Ti simply because your platform is grounds for an entry level gaming setup.

Solution

bjerrum

Commendable
Feb 26, 2020
I believe it's just 80+. It was powering a Ryzen system with an RX580 before it was sold to me. Not really sure how long it was used, but there was very little dust on any of the components I bought from him. A friend and I bought most of the components, including the case.
The board, CPU, and ram were all used by multiple people, sort-of a hand-down system. The Pentium CPU just isn't enough IMHO for anything over a 1050Ti. And even that would be a bit too much. I would like to spend as little as possible on this.
I do agree on "your platform is grounds for an entry level gaming setup." I'm hoping to find a relative that would have use for it.
Thanks for the reply.

Upon some searching, a 1050Ti used wouldn't be too bad.

Last edited: