Question Old gpu works on a more recent mobo, but doesnt on a mobo as old as the gpu

Oct 5, 2022
So I found a gt 440 for cheap. Although it came from a not so known brand, Yeston, I still bought it to try.
this is my system spec:

600W PSU (generic one that comes with the case)
gigabyte h61m
intel i3 2100
8GB ddr3

I installed the gpu and no matter what, it wont load it. It just straight up selecting the igpu instead when the bios setting is set to prioritize pcie. The pcie is by no means broken. So what I did is I installed it on another system. The specs are:

msi a68h (I think)
amd a6-7480
8GB ddr3
not sure what the wattage of PSU, but iirc it should still be 600W generic too
now the age of those psu.. I'm also not sure on that part as I bought these as 2nd hand. Its been with me for the last 6-7 months.

and it works there. I am very confused as to why it works there, and not on the intel one. Any ideas?

Both have latest bios too.
gigabyte has the version f8 as latest.
the other I've not checked, but it should be the latest.

Last edited:
Older graphics cards like your gt440 expected to connect to a legacy bios.
Your current H61 motherboard will be using a UEFI bios.
There may be a bios setting to select CSM or some sort of legacy compatibility.
Cards in the 700 series was about the start of transitioning from legacy to uefi.
Some cards could connect to either.

Reactions: DumDumUser15
Oct 5, 2022
Older graphics cards like your gt440 expected to connect to a legacy bios.
Your current H61 motherboard will be using a UEFI bios.
There may be a bios setting to select CSM or some sort of legacy compatibility.
Cards in the 700 series was about the start of transitioning from legacy to uefi.
Some cards could connect to either.
That makes sense.. Are there boards that only have uefi and no support for legacy? I checked the h61 one and it didnt have any csm or legacy rom setting.

edit: found someone on youtube that has MSI h61m-p20 (g3) with their gt 440 working. I checked a video with all the bios menu of that said model and it didn't have the setting too. I don't even know how they managed that to work.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS