Old Graphic Card not detected on an older motherboard

Sep 28, 2018
Hi, I have an old MSI R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC graphic card and an even older ASRock N68C-GS FX Motherboard and it doesn't even appear on my device manager

What I did:

- Full Format (Win7 x64)

- Disabled the on-board graphic card (from the Device Manager)

- Enabled PCI Express as first priority on the BIOS

- Installed the latest drivers from the MSI page

- Checked if the motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot (It has a 2.0 port and the card has a 3.0 port)

- Connected it to a 500W power source with a PCle power conector

I also checked that the 2 fans are spinning

Any other thing I'm missing?

Solution
Try reseating the graphics card. Try moving the graphics card to another slot. Try another PCIE power cable. Test the graphics card in another system. Switch out the power supply.

The only other thing that might work is to update the motherboard BIOS. I've had that work in the past
The first step is verifying that both old components actually work. You don't mention this in your post. So, assuming for a moment that the motherboard slot is good, I'd install the card but boot into the motherboard bios using onboard graphics. Look in the section with the pci-ex slots, does it detect that there's a card in there?

Try reseating the graphics card. Try moving the graphics card to another slot. Try another PCIE power cable. Test the graphics card in another system. Switch out the power supply.

The only other thing that might work is to update the motherboard BIOS. I've had that work in the past

Solution