[SOLVED] Old Graphic Card vs Active DVI-d to VGA adaptor

Jan 25, 2021
Hi, I recently bought a GeForce GT 1030 that has an HDMI and DVI-d output.
In order to use the HDMI port, I also bought a new monitor.

I now have my old monitor with only one VGA input and I was wondering if I can use it as a second monitor. But my graphics card only has one more DVI-d output, and after search a bit I found that I can convert to VGA with an active adapter. But as a good adapter can be expensive or a cheap one can have a bad image (or even not work) I was thinking if I can use my old graphics card, a GeForce 7500 LE, which has a VGA output.

My question is, is it better to buy the active adapter and use two monitors on the GT 1030 or use 2 video cards one for each monitor?

If I use my old graphics card, wouldn't it conflict with the new one?
And finally, the GeForce 7500 LE is PCIe x16 and on my motherboard (Gygabite B450M DS3H V2) I only have one more slot for PCIe x4 (but it has the slot of an x16). Does this mean I can connect the graphics card there? - I know it will lose quality, but it's for a second vga monitor, so it's not a big problem

Solution
is it better to buy the active adapter and use two monitors on the GT 1030 or use 2 video cards one for each monitor?
You can do either way.
Should not be any conflicts. Try and see.
2x graphics cards will use more power. But both of those cards are ultra low power. So - should not be any problems.
And finally, the GeForce 7500 LE is PCIe x16 and on my motherboard (Gygabite B450M DS3H V2) I only have one more slot for PCIe x4 (but it has the slot of an x16). Does this mean I can connect the graphics card there?
Your board has 2x PCIE x16 slots. One in x16 mode, second in x4 mode. Yes, you can connect 2x graphics cards to your system.

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Firstly... you won't be able to run the two different GPU's.
Second, you CAN use an adapter and should not have issues, just don't expect amazing performance out of it if you plan to run any sort of game. I have had great luck using my display-port to VGA and been using it now for roughly 6 months.
You'll have to do some testing to make sure your gpu can handle both monitors, which I don't see being an issue provided you dont have them running 4k.

Jan 25, 2021
Firstly... you won't be able to run the two different GPU's.
Second, you CAN use an adapter and should not have issues, just don't expect amazing performance out of it if you plan to run any sort of game. I have had great luck using my display-port to VGA and been using it now for roughly 6 months.
You'll have to do some testing to make sure your gpu can handle both monitors, which I don't see being an issue provided you dont have them running 4k.

Oh I think that I can use two gpu since that both are from Nvidia.

And about the adaptor, you use a good adaptor or you bought a cheap, cause I founded one in Amazon by 5 € and I m thinking buy it seeing that is the most cheaper of the store. It's secure? Or is better buy a good adaptor?

is it better to buy the active adapter and use two monitors on the GT 1030 or use 2 video cards one for each monitor?
You can do either way.
Should not be any conflicts. Try and see.
2x graphics cards will use more power. But both of those cards are ultra low power. So - should not be any problems.
And finally, the GeForce 7500 LE is PCIe x16 and on my motherboard (Gygabite B450M DS3H V2) I only have one more slot for PCIe x4 (but it has the slot of an x16). Does this mean I can connect the graphics card there?
Your board has 2x PCIE x16 slots. One in x16 mode, second in x4 mode. Yes, you can connect 2x graphics cards to your system.

Reactions: Darguima
Solution