Question Old graphic card

Swedish Pagan

Prominent
Aug 28, 2020
Hi! Finaly I after 10 years absence of my former super PC I overclocked to death are gonna get new components. Thinking of i5 10600KF 6 core CPU, MSI MAG Z590 Torpedo motherboard and 2x8 GB Corsair RAM.

Had 1:st generation i7 4 (8) core CPU and two MSI GTX SLI GPU double slot (mid-end) with both watercooling and two fans on it, thinks it ate 150W each. Drove Windows 7 and Direct X 10 or 11. Bought every components to that PC 2007. My question is if you roughly can trace the model, so I can compare it with a modern GPU? Now when I cant update win7 anymore I am forced to get a later OP, thus I wonder if I still can run one of this two old GPU on win 10/11?

Still running win7 on a 6 years old crappy bareborne HP Pavilion G6 with 6 GB RAM and a i3, the integrated GPU is melting and damaged... Interesting enough is the fact that I still can play World Of Tanks on it with 1024 resolution! Can see something brown that reminds of grass, got whole 6-16 FPS... If they dont move I can hit :)! My question is if that old MSI GPU of mine anyway kick as compared to this crappy integrated GPU? If I still have to get a new GPU I wonder roughly what capacity it shall have to be able to run the game with max settings?

Hope you can help me :)

InvalidError

Titan
If your old GPUs are from 2007, chances are that even Intel's modern IGPs are faster, especially if you get a 11th or 12th gen CPU with Xe-based IGP which are a good bit faster than Intel's previous IGPs. You also need 11th-gen and up if you want PCIe 4.0 for future GPUs and faster NVMe storage. The primary NVMe slot which connects directly to the CPU is only usable with 11th-gen CPUs for LGA1200, that would be another reason to go 11th-gen.

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Does anyone know if the budget i7 CPUs (3,2-4,1 GHz) will fall down in price 6 months from now? 8 cores is better than 6, thus to expensive for me.
Imo I'd snag a cheap b550 board and a ryzen 3600 on Amazon, literally will run any game you want perfectly, but doesn't have integrated graphics. If your gpu is 13 years old, your best off upgrading to a new card, a lot of them are coming down in price close to MSRP. anyways, if your entire build is from 2007, you basically just should rebuild it with all new components, at least a new PSU GPU CPU and CPU cooler.

Does anyone know if the budget i7 CPUs (3,2-4,1 GHz) will fall down in price 6 months from now? 8 cores is better than 6, thus to expensive for me.
Prices rarely fall after the CPU becomes discontinued or replaced by a new generation, unless for some reason the store is having a sale to get rid of stock. Or if the prices is lower than its original MSRP, it's probably really old anyway.

You're better off just saving money until then, hound whatever stores sell computer hardware, and see what's the best you can get.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldcracc

TRENDING THREADS