Old graphics card stopped working. New graphics card just gets 3 beeps (tried everything)

TheAntiEggroll

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Typed this up on my phone twice and the forum lost it attempting to log me in. I apologize if Im missing any details been at this for almost 4 hours and Im beat. I have a cheap gateway with an i5 2320 and aftermarket Corsair power supply. My old 460gtx stopped working so switched to onboard graphics and that worked fine with old graphics card still plugged in. I bought a 1050ti as an upgrade. Now when the new graphics card is plugged in I get 3 (1 long 2 short) beeps regardless of what I'm plugged in to. AWARD BIOS and those beeps mean "Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information"

Tried
Uninstalling old drivers
Disabling onboard graphics through windows (can't through bios afiak)
Resetting bios
Resetting CMOS
Can't choose to boot from pcie in bios afaik
Reseating graphics card and resetting computer multiple times in a row

Other things ive come across
I have no uefi option in my advanced boot settings so that might have something to do with it?
Can't mess with legacy settings in bios afaik
I read some cheap mother boards don't allow you to power gfx cards through them which this one is where my old one got its power from the psu
The fans do turn on when I boot the PC
Im using windows 10 64 bit currently
Possible my PCIE slot is bad? (Only one available)

Anything else just ask and thanks

The 1000 series can only work if your motherboard has uefi. Your gateway sadly seems to not have this therefore it can't work with the gtx 1050ti. Best you can do is look at some used older cards.

You need to set it to uefi mode to make it work.

TheAntiEggroll

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
So I'm now positive my bios is uefi not legacy so I either got a bad card or my pcie is bad

I also read some cheap mother boards won't let you use a graphics card that draws power directly from it vs being plugged in to the psu which this one is and the old one wasn't

The pci-e specification requires it to be able to deliver 75w otherwise it does not meet spec and cannot be classified as a pci-e slot. So ti should deliver it's 75w. Maybe try returning the card since everything seems right on your end or ask someon to test it for you.

TheAntiEggroll

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I'm going to call msi customer support Tuesday on my day off to make sure it's the card not my pcie slot being bad. I'm half hoping it's the slot so I have an excuse to spend more money and build a new computer