[SOLVED] Old guy needs router help

RockyCoast

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
Hola Experts - My internet connection is DSL from a small telephone company who supplied me with a modem/router. I bought a TP-LINK router (for better WIFI but the phone company sez I MUST have their modem connected ahead of the TP-LINK. So if I try to connect to the TP-LINK to change things like the name and password, it says I'm not connected. (But I certainly am because various things - iPad, TV, etc. - are connected wirelessly to it.) I suspect the phone company's modem/router is in the way somehow, or my attempts only connect me to THEIR router (which I'm only using as a modem, I hope). Is there a way to get past that modem?

Solution
It would help if you list all equipment makes / models.

If all you need is "better" WiFi coverage - configure your TP-Link in "AP Mode', if available, or disable its DHCP server, assign a static IP address from the LAN space of the master router, and connect LAN-to-LAN. That way, all your devices behind the main router would be still on same net.

Another option is to see whether the Telco device can be placed in "bridge" mode, disabling its own router.

And last - check with your Telco whether they can give you just a modem (or provide with list of approved devices). You might even save some money (in long term) by owning the wquipment, and not renting it.
It would help if you list all equipment makes / models.

If all you need is "better" WiFi coverage - configure your TP-Link in "AP Mode', if available, or disable its DHCP server, assign a static IP address from the LAN space of the master router, and connect LAN-to-LAN. That way, all your devices behind the main router would be still on same net.

Another option is to see whether the Telco device can be placed in "bridge" mode, disabling its own router.

And last - check with your Telco whether they can give you just a modem (or provide with list of approved devices). You might even save some money (in long term) by owning the wquipment, and not renting it.

Solution