old hard drive in new build?

thechosencookie

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Hi Guys

I am currently building a new PC and was wondering if I could use my old hard drive as it has all my games, photos, videos and music? Would it be as simple as unplugging it from this PC and plugging it into my new build? if I can do that how would I go about deleting the operating software off it and loading new software onto my SSD in the new build?

Thanks in advanced

Nick

Solution
That would only work if your new build has the same motherboard and processor. The hard drive contains the device drivers and configuration info for the old system so it won't work with your new system.

Do not install the HDD in the new system yet. Install your new SSD and connect it to the lowest numbered SATA port on the motherboard. Boot the machine from your OS installation media and install and configure the OS and get that working to your satisfaction. After rebooting go into the BIOS and ensure the SSD is set as the first boot device.

Shut the machine down, remove the installation media, and install the HDD and connect it to a higher numbered SATA port on the motherboard. When you boot again, it will boot from the SSD...
That would only work if your new build has the same motherboard and processor. The hard drive contains the device drivers and configuration info for the old system so it won't work with your new system.

Do not install the HDD in the new system yet. Install your new SSD and connect it to the lowest numbered SATA port on the motherboard. Boot the machine from your OS installation media and install and configure the OS and get that working to your satisfaction. After rebooting go into the BIOS and ensure the SSD is set as the first boot device.

Shut the machine down, remove the installation media, and install the HDD and connect it to a higher numbered SATA port on the motherboard. When you boot again, it will boot from the SSD because it is set that way in the BIOS and it is on the lower numbered SATA port.

You can use the data from the HDD but you'll have to reinstall any software you want to use because the registry on the SSD won't have the settings the software will need to run.

If any of this is unclear search "install SSD boot drive" and you'll find plenty of help.

Solution

thechosencookie

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

thanks heaps that has made it clear enough for me