Old hard drive in new system

mougi

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I have just finished built a system. I am using a hard drive with the operating system on it but it won't boot up. I have accessed the BIOS and have seen that all the devices are recognized and seem to be stable. I've checked to see that that hard drive is in its SATA 0 port and have seen that it is first in boot priority and the first boot device. However, after multiple tries and restarts, all I get is balnk screen after the computer prompts me to press F2 to enter BIOS . Is there any possble way for the hard drive to work without re-installing windows.

Solution
your hdd doesn't have the correct drivers on it for your new computer. It has the drivers for the system it was on before you moved it. Unless you know how to install the correct drivers, you're best option is to simply do a new install of Windows. Best of luck.

mougi

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I forgot to note that the hard drive's operating system was installed onto it from another hard drive while it was hooked up to the old system, if thatis of any significance. Also it has a speed of 3gbps, which is about the same spedd my motherboard is said to handle

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
your hdd doesn't have the correct drivers on it for your new computer. It has the drivers for the system it was on before you moved it. Unless you know how to install the correct drivers, you're best option is to simply do a new install of Windows. Best of luck.

Solution

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

you will lose all the data that is on that drive. windows will reformat the drive before it installs windows. It will probably ask you if you're sure you want to do a new install and warn you that all data will be lost. But, unless you can figure out how to install the correct drivers, this is the only way. good luck