Old Hard Drive Reuse problem

Raging Raptor

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I have old HP hard drive that I put into my new system and currently is does not work it says that it needs to resolve problems and when it does it get stuck at "windows loading files" Should I wipe the drive and do a clean install of Windows?

Solution
Hi there,

If it's within your budget, consider a 256GB SSD for the system and OS drive. Then use the older secondary HDD for file storage. What is the size, configuration (Satat II, III, Pata) of the reusable drive?

To specifically evaluate the older HDD condition, consider downloading the free version of HD Tune on a laptop or other computer, then connect the HDD as a secondary drive, to see if there is any physical problem or S.M.A.R.T criteria that would indicate a problem before going to all the time, and frustration, of a clean Windows OS install.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

If it's within your budget, consider a 256GB SSD for the system and OS drive. Then use the older secondary HDD for file storage. What is the size, configuration (Satat II, III, Pata) of the reusable drive?

To specifically evaluate the older HDD condition, consider downloading the free version of HD Tune on a laptop or other computer, then connect the HDD as a secondary drive, to see if there is any physical problem or S.M.A.R.T criteria that would indicate a problem before going to all the time, and frustration, of a clean Windows OS install.

Solution