[SOLVED] Old Hard Drive to new Computer

Jan 28, 2020
Recently I've built a new computer and I've installed windows 10 on my ssd.

My question is whether or not it is possible to install my old hard drive from my older computer to my new one?

I want to pursue this because I have a lot of work files on there that I'd like to have again.

However it does have windows 7 installed, I imagine this does complicate things, but I wondered what steps could potentially be taken to retrieve these files from my older hard drive to transfer to my computer with windows 10.

If I could I would've used an external hard drive to transfer the files over, but my old computer doesn't currently work anymore.

Solution
This old drive will be a secondary drive?
No problem, mostly.

Everything will be accessible. The only issue is possibly permissions on the original files.
If they live in the "Libraries" (Doc/Photo/Music/etc) than you'll have to Take Ownership. Those Library folders are linked to the original user account.

If your files are elsewhere, absolutely no problem.

Just be sure the Win 10 SSD is first in the BIOS boot order, and the system won't try to boot from the old Win 7 drive.

USAFRet

Titan
This old drive will be a secondary drive?
No problem, mostly.

Everything will be accessible. The only issue is possibly permissions on the original files.
If they live in the "Libraries" (Doc/Photo/Music/etc) than you'll have to Take Ownership. Those Library folders are linked to the original user account.

If your files are elsewhere, absolutely no problem.

Just be sure the Win 10 SSD is first in the BIOS boot order, and the system won't try to boot from the old Win 7 drive.

Solution