Question Old Hard Drive to New PC with another hard drive

Chris8282

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
I am about to go pickup a new PC I bought. This new PC has a hard drive with Windows 10 preinstalled. I have my current PC with Windows 10 installed and the hard drive is superior. I want to use this current old hard drive as the hard drive for the new PC, and use the new hard drive for the old PC. I have looked into sysprep and uninstalled drivers and all of that. The new PC will be nVidia and Intel, and the current PC is ATI and Intel.

My ideal situation would be to use my current 3TB drive on the new PC, and use the new 1TB from I'm about to pickup on the old PC. Is sysprep and driver installation enough? Or should I just reinstall Windows on the 3TB drive? My Windows 10 is activated through my Microsoft account.

USAFRet

Titan
You can do all that sysprep stuff.
But for a single operation, it is just as easy to just do a regular clean install.

Sysprep is great if you're deploying to a couple dozen systems.

Also, for any used system, you really need to do a clean install. You have no idea what the previous users had in there.

USAFRet

Titan
Another question, if I use the Windows installation on the new PC and just plug in my 3TB hard drive and reformat it, will that be enough?
Sort of unsure what drive has what on it, where they are currently, and where they will end up.

If you're doing a clean install, you need to do it with only the desired drive connected. You can reconnect any others after, and delete all partitions as desired.