old hardware question...

covert420

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004
okay, I am piecing a friend of mine together a computer he plans to use for school, cs burning, and very very casual (and low end) gaming. I have a question on the parts im going to use.

I have 2 motherboards with 2 proccessors.

Both motherboards are intel made motherboards.
The first features a Celeron 650Mhz chip
The second features a Pentium 2 450Mhz MMX chip

now the question of which to use seems easy, however, the board with the celeron processor only features 4 PCI slots and 2 PC100 ram slots. The motherboard with the P2 processor features 4 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot, 2 ISA slots, and 3 PC100 ram slots, along with an improved heatsink for the processor. This puts me in a bind as I have 3 128mb ram sticks and a PCI ATI Rage2 card vs an nVidia GF4MX400 card.

So which one should I use?

-P2 450Mhz w/ 384mb ram, AGP slot, improved heatsink

-Celeron 650Mhz w/ 256mb ram, no AGP slot, weaker heatsink

(Also: on an ATI Rage 2 card, what are the WFC/j2/AMC connector

toss5000

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
I'd go with the P2 system.

- - - -
Kill a man and you're a murderer;
Kill many and you're a conquerer;
Kill 'em all and you're a god.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There is no such thing as a Celeron 650MHz. All dektop Celerons from 266 to 766MHz used 66.6MHz bus speed, the closest match is the Celeron 667 (there's also the Celeron 633 and 600). These are Coppermine core processors, if I were to choose, I'd use the Celeron on an adjustable voltage Slot-1 adapter, set to 1.85v and 100MHz bus, which takes a Celeron 667 to 1GHz.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I agree with Toss. Go for the P2. The celeron may be a bit faster, but the extra RAM will probably get you more unless you're putting win98 on it (you are putting 2k or xp on it, aren't you?). While Crashman is right and there is no celery 650, since you're stuck on mobo's you probably won't be able to upclock the celery to make up the difference in performance 50% more RAM will get you, IMO. (if you can up the celeron to 100fsb - or close to 1ghz - go with the celeron for speed.)