Old [HD 4850] Card in newer PC

ErrADDict

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
I recently shipped out my HD 7950 car back to Sapphire for an RMA exchange and I decided to use my old AMD 4850 card. It seems to work okay in my HT pc but when I move it into my case, upon boot up of Win 8.1, the keyboard is no longer functional and it hangs at a black screen.

I'm currently using the on board Intel HD 4000 drivers to run my two monitors. Once I plug in the 4850, the keyboard works with the BIOS and it allows me to log into Safe Mode, but if I startup in normal mode, the keyboard is unresponsive and, after the Windows Loading screen, I get stuck at a black screen. I'm forced to hard reset.

Any ideas as to why it's doing this? I just want to use the card so that I can play a few games while I wait for the other card to come back.

ErrADDict

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

Yeah, it's an 'ancient' card. AMD stopped supporting this series, it's considered a legacy card now. Should I install the Catalyst Drivers and then install the card?

ErrADDict

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Found out the PCIE slot is bad, moved it to the secondary slot and it works perfectly fine. Received my original 7950 back from RMA. Now I gotta RMA another part, just my luck. At least this time it's with Asus, I hear their customer service is exceptional