Question Old hdd from laptop as secondary hdd for main pc

Mar 26, 2019
Hi Readers,

After some years of abuse my old laptop broke and I would like to use it's hdd as drive for my main system.The problem is that it has Windows 7 still on it and it is oem partitioned. I want to erase everything on it to use it as a fresh drive. I also have an external hdd and since I added the old laptop hard drive it changed from (D:) to (F:) and the hdd from the laptop is (E:) so I dont have a (D:) drive anymore and all of the apps I had on that drive their icons appear blank on the desktop.

I need some help formating the drives and changing the external drive back to (D:).

EDIT: I also tried the diskpart command and it didn't work, I got an error that said you are not allowed to format this disk because it contains the current boot volume and some other sh*t like that.Also i fixed the disk names so my goal now is to get rid of that windows 7 laptop drive

Excuse the bad english and thank you for your time.Have a good day.

Last edited:
You can use the Windows disk management tool reassign drive letters (you might need to change one to something else to free up a letter you want to assign to another drive)

You can format the laptop's drive from Windows as long as you're booting from the main system's drive.

Set the boot order in BIOS to boot from your existing drive.

Mar 26, 2019
You can use the Windows disk management tool reassign drive letters (you might need to change one to something else to free up a letter you want to assign to another drive)

You can format the laptop's drive from Windows as long as you're booting from the main system's drive.

Set the boot order in BIOS to boot from your existing drive.
Thanks for the quick reply but can you be a little bit more specific. I am not the smartest guy when it comes to doing things like this. I would appreciate it if you could give me a tutorial or something like that.
Thank you for your time