Old HDD in new build

sirrus21

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hello all,
I recently just built a new pc and everything is working fine...for the most part. New build is below:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
i5-2500k CPU (not overclocked yet)
Asrock Extreme4 Gen3
Sapphire Radeon 6850 GPU
8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
OCZ ZT Series 750W PSU

My old desktop (about 4 years old) had a 750GB HDD that I was looking to use in the new build for storage space. I have already backed everything up and wiped the hard drive, so there should be no OS data on it. Here is what I have noticed about it:

- When I boot the computer with the HDD plugged in, the boot time is much longer than normal. When I boot without HDD, boot time is very fast (about 10-15 seconds to login screen)
- The hard drive will be recognized by the system for about 10-15 minutes. After this time, it will vanish from Computer/Disk Management
- Some time after the HDD disappears, the entire system freezes.

I've been running my system with just the SSD now and none of these problems have come up. It seems to only appear when my old HDD is plugged into the computer.

I am at a loss for what's going on here. Could the HDD be too old/dying? Or maybe there's something in BIOS/UEFI that I need to configure?

Thank you for any help you can give!

sirrus21

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
The HDD drive is what's causing issues. Plugged into SATA II, but it's an older drive, so it only supports up to SATA II.

SATA ports are set to AHCI. Drive was wiped using a standard Windows 7 disc (run install, delete partitions)

I'll give CHKDSK a try.