[SOLVED] Old HDD in New PC

AdamantPearce

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Hi, I'm currently planning on building my new PC due to my old one being broken and really old now. I plan to get new storage for the PC however I was wondering, once I install Windows 10 onto my new SSD, am I able to connect my old hard drive to the new PC and access all my files? If not, what is the best way to get access to all my old files?

Cheers!

Solution
Hey, the only problem is, the computer is no longer working. The PC will no longer boot up due to (I think) the memory slots being broken.
OK then...
All you can do is connect the old drive.
It will be seen as a secondary drive, with a different drive letter.

Your personal files will require some navigation, and almost certainly a concept of Take Ownership.
This may take a while and be a PITA.

Your old applications that may live on that drive are null and void.
Well, yes and no.

From my experience, I know that on some W10 installations, all files stored under Users may be encrypted, so that they cannot be accessed from any other location that the current windows installation.
Point is - if your old computer is still able to run, I advice you taking backup of all your personal files before you remove the hdd. You should do that anyway, regardless.

And then, if you plan to buy a computer with regular size cabinet (not those miniature models), you're normally able to attach another SATA hdd.

USAFRet

Titan
Anything stored under the default Libraries are linked to that original user. Actually, its not the 'files', but rather the Doc/Music/Picture/Video Library.

That's why when you have more than one account on a PC, each User only sees their files in the Documents library.

How to get around this?
Save the files in each of those to some other location, while that PC is still up and running.

AdamantPearce

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Well, yes and no.

From my experience, I know that on some W10 installations, all files stored under Users may be encrypted, so that they cannot be accessed from any other location that the current windows installation.
Point is - if your old computer is still able to run, I advice you taking backup of all your personal files before you remove the hdd. You should do that anyway, regardless.

And then, if you plan to buy a computer with regular size cabinet (not those miniature models), you're normally able to attach another SATA hdd.

Hey, the only problem is, the computer is no longer working. The PC will no longer boot up due to (I think) the memory slots being broken.

USAFRet

Titan
OK then...
All you can do is connect the old drive.
It will be seen as a secondary drive, with a different drive letter.

Your personal files will require some navigation, and almost certainly a concept of Take Ownership.
This may take a while and be a PITA.

Your old applications that may live on that drive are null and void.

Solution