[SOLVED] Old HDD not detected with new SSD

weffals

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Hey guys. I recently bought a 256GB SSD to speed up my pc by putting OS on it and some games, and was going to have my old hard drive as storage with all my old files still there. However when the SSD is inside the computer my old hard drive is not detected at all, not in the bios or windows. Take the SSD out, hard drive works just like it did before. My hard drive is old and REALLY slow (says it's from dec 2014 although has had multiple clean installs since, boot takes around 5 minutes, and hits 100% usage very easily) but surely I could still use it for storage? For less important games and programs and such?

When I was trying to get my hard drive to work with the SSD I tried changing SATA ports and SATA cables. The stuff I found online all says the same stuff, already tried most of it. The drive DOES spin with the SSD inside, no weird noises.

Any help would be very much appreciated, until then I will be leaving my SSD in its box.

The SSD I got if it is important.

Solution
Well the one it's connected to happens to be ASATA3 and the one right next to it which is the other one I tried is most likely ASATA3.1 so that's probably it. Tomorrow I will try it out. Will update you once it's done.
That is exactly "it".
Try one of the other 4.
well yes it should be fine to use as storage but needs to be set as a slave drive or secondary normally there are pins on the front of the drive that show how to set it look at the drive itself you cannot have two primary drives is probably the problem
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAJAPo_-mns
That's applicable only to IDE drives, not SATA. I doubt it's IDE drive from that year.

USAFRet

Titan
Hey guys. I recently bought a 256GB SSD to speed up my pc by putting OS on it and some games, and was going to have my old hard drive as storage with all my old files still there. However when the SSD is inside the computer my old hard drive is not detected at all, not in the bios or windows.

The SSD I got if it is important.

NVMe SSD.
Often, use of an NVMe drive disables one or more SATA ports.

Likely, you just need to move the HDD to a different SATA port.

What motherboard is this? Knowing this can conclusively determine if this is the case.

USAFRet

Titan
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x#sp
"* Refer to "1-7 Internal Connectors," for the installation notices for the M.2 and SATA connectors. "

Let's see what THAT says:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ab350-gaming3_e.pdf

pg. 15
6huMntb.jpg

So what specific motherboard port is your HDD connected to?

weffals

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
Well the one it's connected to happens to be ASATA3 and the one right next to it which is the other one I tried is most likely ASATA3.1 so that's probably why. Tomorrow I will try out switching to a completely new port. Will update you once it's done.

Last edited: