Question Old HDD permissions/transferring programs to my new SSD

May 19, 2019
I recently bought a 240Gb SSD because my 1 Tb hard drive was getting full and i heard about how fast it would make my computer run. I installed windows on the new SSD and figured out the boot order so it would work and all that. Now it works great as a new computer but i want to be able to run programs off of my old HDD which i have up and connected.

Whenever I try to run things off the old drive i get problems with permissions.

Am i going about this the wrong way?
How do i run my OS on my SSD but use some programs and drivers that were on my old HDD?

Thanks in advance,
Im a teenager just figuring out this stuff

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if the aplications are installed to the old hard drive, the problem is the install process. during install the files are not just copied to the right places on the drives, the registry is edited to use the new program, .ini files are edited to make it work , etc. the current running windows has not had the pleasure of all these little edits to the result you see.
you could re-install the programs on themselves. run the installer again but install the program to the old hard drive again, this will allow the installer to make the needed system edits and update the system to the new programs location, updating shortcuts as needed.

this is where it can get messy, you need to install the same version that is installed or risk the program updating and breaking, rare but possible. eyes open. I would backup the installed folders to a new location before the install, if it breaks you will have a backup to work with again

no two ways about it the drivers will need to be re-installed to the current windows.

either way you will be re-installing the programs to get them to work

Last edited:
May 19, 2019
if the aplications are installed to the old hard drive, the problem is the install process. during install the files are not just copied to the right places on the drives, the registry is edited to use the new program, .ini files are edited to make it work , etc. the current running windows has not had the pleasure of all these little edits to the result you see.
you could re-install the programs on themselves. run the installer again but install the program to the old hard drive again, this will allow the installer to make the needed system edits and update the system to the new programs location, updating shortcuts as needed.

this is where it can get messy, you need to install the same version that is installed or risk the program updating and breaking, rare but possible. eyes open. I would backup the installed folders to a new location before the install, if it breaks you will have a backup to work with again

no two ways about it the drivers will need to be re-installed to the current windows.

either way you will be re-installing the programs to get them to work
alright cool,
Also so every time i click on anything in that old drive it says i don't have permission and i click continue to give myself permission forever.
This happens every time i click on anything. is there a way to just do it once?
Idk im completely lost