[SOLVED] Old HDD with Data to new PC

Mar 7, 2021
Hello, Im looking to build a new pc and i want to keep all the files from my old pc , so my old HDD and SSD. And i need some help
I will install Windows on a new SSD first, but then can i simply plug my old HDD and SSD into my new PC and be able to launch my programs and play games ? What would be the most simple way to keep my programs and files?
I would just like to know if i can use my old HDD and SSD once Windows is installed.
Thanks for the help!

Solution
Mainly programs for Uni work such as Proteus, Codeblocks,files filled with work and then Steam, Origin and Battlenet Games.
If i download steam again i could simply keep the steam games and locate them ?
Your applications, no.

Steam, yes.
----------------------------
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

The other game launchers have a similar function, but I don't have the specific steps documented.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, Im looking to build a new pc and i want to keep all the files from my old pc , so my old HDD and SSD. And i need some help
I will install Windows on a new SSD first, but then can i simply plug my old HDD and SSD into my new PC and be able to launch my programs and play games ? What would be the most simple way to keep my programs and files?
I would just like to know if i can use my old HDD and SSD once Windows is installed.
Thanks for the help!
Depends.

What, exactly, is on this HDD?

Programs, no.
Steam games, yes. You just have to tell the NEW Steam client you install where those live.
Personal files? Probably OK.

Mar 7, 2021
Depends.

What, exactly, is on this HDD?

Programs, no.
Steam games, yes. You just have to tell the NEW Steam client you install where those live.
Personal files? Probably OK.

Mainly programs for Uni work such as Proteus, Codeblocks,files filled with work and then Steam, Origin and Battlenet Games.

USAFRet

Titan
Your applications, no.

Steam, yes.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

The other game launchers have a similar function, but I don't have the specific steps documented.

Solution