Old HDD won't let me delete recovery partitions

My Pet Russian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2015
I've just purchased an SSD and was planning on running my two HDDs in RAID 0 as they will just be used for game storage and I don't mind losing that, both HDD are the same model and storage size however one is slightly smaller due to recovery partitions from when it was my OS drive.

I have used disk management and when I right click the partitions it just asks if I want help, no option to delete comes up, except for on the main partition. Is there anyway to delete the other partitions?

Thanks for any help :)

You should also be able to delete a recovery partition by running Diskpart as administrator, as diskpart will allow you to nuke specific partitions. With diskpart, just make sure you're working with the correct drive and partitions you want to delete, or you could wind up nuking things you never wanted to.

search "Diskpart", it should come up as Diskpart - run command, right click and run as administrator. Type "list disk" hit enter. Type "select disk n" with N being whichever disk number that corresponds to the one with the recovery partitions you would like to get rid of. Hit enter. Type "list partition" hit enter. View the listed info to find your recovery partitions you want gone and make note of their number. Type "select partition N" with N being whichever your desired recovery partition is and hit enter. Type "delete partition" and hit enter. If it comes up with an error that won't allow you to delete the partition, you may have to type gpt attributes=0x8000000000000000 and then repeat the delete partition step.

Just be careful the disks/partitions you're deleting from are the ones you want them to be or you could wind up erasing stuff that is important to you.

You could also try Partition Wizard if you're not comfortable playing around in diskpart with different disks/partitions.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
One additional way to help ensure not messing with the wrong hard-drive and/or any partition anywhere is giving every hard-drive and every partition (except for System Reserved and such OS-created partitions) a unique name. That way, regardless of the drive letter shuffle, at least you know which hard-drive and which partition your utility is aimed at.