[SOLVED] Old HDD

May 23, 2020
I plan on Installing windows on an SSD on my current build. Would I still be able to boot into windows on my old drive to prepare it as a normal storage device for the new OS(on the SSD).

Also the old HDD had optane acceleration is there any way for me to get rid of the optane without it clearing my data because at the moment if I try disabling optane from the BIOS it says it will clear the drive. Which I don’t want I would like to keep all my apps and games if possible.

Solution
Yh I’m in the process of copying my data to another drive atm. I’m also preparing a recovery drive just in case.
What if there is windows installed on the old drive will I still be able to access it from the new OS.
Access the data within that drive? Yes, mostly.
Stuff contained in the Libraries will be permission locked to the old user.
/Users/Documents.../Users/Pictures...etc.

You can get around that, but it is a pain.

The way you prevent that issue is to locate all personal data you want, and copy that off to some other drive first. The Data, not the whole /Documents/ library.
Then, you don't have to worry about the old OS and whatever.

USAFRet

Titan
Before you do ANYTHING, copy your personal data off to some other physical drive.

Also, if you boot up with the old drive, you can't do much to "prepare" it for being jsut a storage drive.

But first, safeguard whatever data you need to keep and we'll move on from there.

May 23, 2020
Yh I’m in the process of copying my data to another drive atm. I’m also preparing a recovery drive just in case.
What if there is windows installed on the old drive will I still be able to access it from the new OS.

USAFRet

Titan
Access the data within that drive? Yes, mostly.
Stuff contained in the Libraries will be permission locked to the old user.
/Users/Documents.../Users/Pictures...etc.

You can get around that, but it is a pain.

The way you prevent that issue is to locate all personal data you want, and copy that off to some other drive first. The Data, not the whole /Documents/ library.
Then, you don't have to worry about the old OS and whatever.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
And since you're doing a fresh install on the new SSD, read through this a time or two to validate your procedure.