Question Old HP PC not working

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I am trying to get a PC someone threw out working . I don,t suppose anyone can help.
PC turns on fans running. ethernet cable shows light and blinks. The mouse and keyboard have no lights. Even when using the PS/2 mouse and keyboard. The Floppy drive not working when I put a floppy disc in no light.T5 shows a light when plugged in all USB ports. No signal on the monitor. I put an OS in the drive but nothing. It is an old PC as you can tell by having a floppy drive in it. I am not expecting to get this working.
It would be nice if I could though.:)

Ralston18

Titan
HP noted: what model/version etc.? Any date stamps?

Any stickers on the PC: Window's edition, other software, or components?

Power off, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris, check that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

What hardware specs can be determined: Motherboard/version, PSU, disk drives, Optical drive, RAM, etc.?

If anything, install a new CMOS battery and see if the PC will boot via default configurations.

Look for the applicable User Guide/Manual online. Do be careful as there are quite a number of websites listing or otherwise "offering" the manuals. Some of those websites are traps.

Start with HP directly - may still be some relevant legacy documents to be found there.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
HP noted: what model/version etc.? Any date stamps?

Any stickers on the PC: Window's edition, other software, or components?

Power off, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris, check that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

What hardware specs can be determined: Motherboard/version, PSU, disk drives, Optical drive, RAM, etc.?

If anything, install a new CMOS battery and see if the PC will boot via default configurations.

Look for the applicable User Guide/Manual online. Do be careful as there are quite a number of websites listing or otherwise "offering" the manuals. Some of those websites are traps.

Start with HP directly - may still be some relevant legacy documents to be found there.
I have got it working ,:) I put the Ram in another slot and took out the four-pin PSU connector, and put it back in. The floppy driver is not working though there is only one way to fit the IDE cabal and the Molex cabal, I also changed the CMOS battery. Apparently, there was Windows
7 on the drive it came up with that blue screen message about having to shut down because it could damage the PC. I put another IDE HDD in and an OS in the drive, And came up with this message
Set up cannot install Windows on your computer
Your computer does not have a hard disk, your hard disk is not functioning correctly , or your hard disk requires a special device driverWhat does it, meanSpecial device driver?:rolleyes:
The PC is a HP Compaq D530.
I did not know that about the manuals :rolleyes:

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about "special device driver"....

Could be some HP proprietary requirement.

= = = =

This:

"I put another IDE HDD in and an OS in the drive, "

Was that OS (Windows 7 ) already on the drive or did you do a clean install?

May also be that that old system is trying to boot from the Floppy A: drive.

At boot up is there an option to access BIOS?

FYI:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/docume...he BIOS Setup,BIOS setup utility screen opens.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Yes it was ,it was from another PC .It was not a clean install.There is no floppy on the PC ii disconnected it, as it was not working,That is weird i have i have put the drive in my Athlon 2400
and it sees no drives in there only the CD rom.I had set the jumper on the internal one in the Athlon to Master it was perversely on cable select from the person i bought the PC from that was working fine.The second drive i set to Slave.Ide drivers are a pain.I discounted the Slave drive but it is still saying no Master when that is the only drive on there.All i am trying to do is wipe the second drive so i can put it in the other PC so i can get an OS on it.I have connected the IDE caba; the right way Blue to the motherboard the end of the cabal to the internal Master drive and the middle part of the IDE cabal to the one i want to be formated.I don,t know how to get to the bios this is a ASUS motherboard.

Last edited:

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
To enter bios , spam F2 or Delete buttons on start up.
As to drive. Back then 32GB was the maximum drive space for FAT 32 systems. If the drive is larger you will need to make it smaller with partitions.

Thanks for that there was an 80gb drive on there.I have also a 320gb drive on there,i managed to delete the 80gb drive .Which had the os when i bought it last year.But i did put the OS on a 320gb drive that was a Sata drive ,i used a sata to ide adapter.