Question Old i5-2500K 75 celcius when idle

evela

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Hi

My 8 year old PC has been struggling recently, and the last week has been particularly bad — it frequently crashes, typically followed by it repeatedly turning off some five seconds after being turned on again, resulting in a perpetual loop of starting up, turning off, starting up again etc. without ever reaching the BIOS/motherboard logo. I have to turn off the power and let it rest a while before I can hope to have it start up properly.

I am suspecting the CPU, a non-OC’d i5-2500K, is to blame. When starting up after hours of non-use, the BIOS displays the temp as 65 C, within a minute rising to roughly 75 C. Before noticing this, I thought the fault may lie with the PSU (Corsair TX650).

What am I to do? I have never fiddled with anything inside my (prebuilt) PC, save for replacing the GPU some years back.

Thank you

If you are lucky, it might just be your coolerpaste that has hardened, which makes it much less effective, try replacing it

make sure that your cpu cooler is properly mounted and that it's fan(s) work

also if you have a cramped case with lots of cable clutter it also negatively impacts temperatures

Reactions: evela
Look inside the case, is your CPU coolers fan not working? or is the cooler loose?

If the cooler is working and it tight, I would say you need to reapply thermal paste to the CPU, after so many years thermal paste can dry out.

Here is a video of how to do it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfW4RgtwVgw

Although personally I usually apply a little more thermal paste than this guy did, but everyone has their own opinions on that.

If you try reapplying thermal paste and take your CPU out to clean it, but make sure you're gentle with the motherboard socket once the CPU removed as its very fragile. (CPU's are surprisingly durable).

evela

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
I’ve reapplied cooling paste — the old paste was dried up — and this lowered CPU temps considerably. I am still having the problem I’ve described. Might it be a power supply issue?

Dlaing

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Overclocking it may have case it to overheat and the crashes could be caused by unstable power going to the CPU. Run tests online and take apart you pc if you have to, another thing is that the Bois may not be displaying the correct temp, and this has happened to me also. I used a hardware monitor to find that the CPU temp was like 25 and the Bois said 85... Try resetting the bois and touching around the CPU cooler, see if it heats up. What is your motherboard also? I can find the Bois for you. Taking the CPU in/out my also help a little and it won't damge the pc if you do it correctly. Go here:
View: https://youtu.be/Cz4vpkfYoII

Last edited: